Rectangle pool , concrete free form decking?

Jan 14, 2013
Thoughts on this? We are supposed to start digging June 24. IG vinyl, 20 X 40, saltwater with auto cover. Live in NE Ohio. We are still deciding the liner and amt of decking (some type of concrete). I keep getting the runaround on whether or not stamped concrete is too slippery. Super important as I have a son with autism who doesn't always listen. Pavers aren't in the budget. Thoughts? I am thinking perhaps a colored concrete with a different colored concrete coping? I thought about flagstone for the coping but am worried about the saltwater with it.

Amy

My understanding of flagstone in this area (usually PA Bluestone) is that it is much harder than the Oklahoma flagstone that many on this site refer to. I have not heard of much/any issues with PA Bluestone and saltwater. I can't attest yet, but in a few years I'll let you know! With this part of the country receiving regular rainfall (most years) the accumulated salt from splash-out gets washed off pretty regularly too which is also a positive. Our concrete is stained then sealed. It is moderately slippery. They sealed it shortly after staining (in May) because it was new but recommended I seal it annually in the fall to give the best protection from freezing and also to allow the sealer to be on it's less slippery side during the following swim season. Was just at a pool this weekend with new brushed concrete (not stamped or stained) which was very slip-resistant. They had irregular stone "grout lines" brushed in with a tool of some kind during installation to tie it somewhat into an existing older stamped patio. I liked that look on concrete and is what we had also given some thought to.

Our pool is rectangular with a large rectangular deck so the kids can be kids and the adults aren't getting in the way too much. It's also separated from the house so we have no benefit of a companion paved surface.

Good luck with your decisions and the process!

Can I ask how much decking around your pool? I'm actually thinking brushed concrete at this point. On ours, one end will be 8 ft with diving board. Ours will also be a slight walk out to the pool. There will be 3-4 deck jets, so I was thinking 5 ft on that side, 8 ft on the opposite side, then the ends. I would think the end with the diving board would need a minimum amt for clearance. We had this all designed out, but have changed our mind which changes the ENTIRE landscape. Ughh. We have full sun and need a place for shade. So I'm wanting to do a composite deck that is at least partially covered to offer shade. Eventually in the plan was a ramada with possible small bath (going to get it plumbed and electric b/c you never know, we MIGHT win the lotto).

I see you've found the pictures through my signature link and I've replied back over there as well to keep the A's with the Q's. The diving board end has 8' (a shed/changing room structure will extend off of this end some day). The house/upper side has 14'. The end opposite the diving board is 15' (future 10' x 20' pavilion - for which three footers are poured integrally with the deck, as we have full sun as well). The lower side has 4'. All not counting the 1' coping.

I recommend modifying your forum title somewhat and documenting your build here. You can start with the before pics and specs any day! You'll no doubt get helpful suggestions along the way as I have. The information I've received from this forum on the pool subject is priceless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.