Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG seems to be not working...

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG seems to be not working...

Hey guy's,, I'm new to this forum and to pool ownership... I put a swg on last Oct,2012 and now it seems to be not working. The LCD reads I'm at 2800ppm, the water taste like the dead sea, you can gargle with it. The test strips,for salt says it's three times what the LCD says. back in May we added salt, to the pool because the readout said we were low. The water turned green we added chlorine whech cleared it up.
    what is going on here, any help please.It's a swimpure plus,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG seems to be not working...

Take a sample and have the salt tested independently. I tend to think it's probably very high.

Have you cleaned the cell?
    Have you checked the connectors?
    Are there any other lights or errors on the unit?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

How old is the SWG? That sounds like what happens when the cell wears out, or any of the things Bama mentioned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

hey,, yes we cleaned the cell,it's only 9 months old,yes connections are tight, and the only lights come on are the low salt check cell,,,

5. Back To Top    #5

At only nine months old, I think it's time to call Hayward.

One thing you're going to want to do before they come out is to get the salt into the proper range or they'll blame it on that. Or at least refuse to work on it until you do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

hey,, I took a sample of water to Leslie's,, 5000ppm,, way to high. was told the swg shut down because of the high level,, so we've been draining the cement pond now for days,, takes awhile through a garden hose. Really need to fix that,,