Durandetto

Jun 16, 2013
Hartland, MI
First time pool owner. It was a month long self-install AG 24'x54". Filled using well water, just started the filter last night. Put in Metal Out to take care of the high metal content in my well water. Put a bag of zappit shock treatment in today. All stuff that came with the pool package or was recommended by the store we bought the pool from.

I am an avid forum reader and came across this site while doing some Google searches for start up pool chemical adding. I like to know as much as I can about everything I do or have so this place has been great at fulfilling my needs for pool knowledge. I plan on ordering one of the recommended test kits since my pool package came with a cheap one for testing ph and fc.

My water is still orangish after treating with the metal out and about 2 hours after adding the powder shock. What's the best thing for high iron and copper and for clearing up a newly filled pool the quickest? Unfortunately I can't provide all the test results as I don't have the proper kit yet, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

There are many different products called "Metal Out". Can you be more specific with the brand name and are their any ingredients listed on the bottle? If the product is not using HEDP as the metal sequestrant, then it might not be as effective. See the Pool School article on Metals in the Water and Metal Stains for some HEDP-based products.

If your pH is high, then that will have the water colored more -- try and keep it below 7.8 if possible. You may need to add more metal sequestrant (the HEDP-based ones).

If you have a lot of material in the water, you might try using a skimmer sock to see if it captures any of it. A good filter might help as well and if your filter is a sand filter you can consider following the how to Add DE to a Sand Filter.

Hartland is east of Lansing near Howell and Brighton.

My ph is reading around 7.8 according to my cheap test kit. The metal it product I used is Metal free by Natural Chemistry. It doesn't give any ingredients or say anything about HEDP.

durandetto said:
Hartland is east of Lansing near Howell and Brighton.

My ph is reading around 7.8 according to my cheap test kit. The metal it product I used is Metal free by Natural Chemistry. It doesn't give any ingredients or say anything about HEDP.

http://www.poolsupplyclub.com/pdfs/MSDS ... 0Feb10.pdf

Looks like just overpriced citric acid. You could buy the same stuff in the canning section of a grocery or hardware store!

014400550003.jpg

What product do you recommend, because that stuff cost me $23 and this pool is starting to hurt the budget a little. I used a bag of zappit powder shock today and if anything the clarity got worse. I put the metal free stuff in last night and it was better this morning, but that could have been just from the filter running.

So I have a quick question. I'm getting ready to start adding chlorine and balancer to my newly installed pool. What I've read so far I should put the balancer in a sock and put it in the skimmer then add the chlorine to the pool by the return, but how much chlorine do I add for the first shock? I bought Walmart bleach that is 8.25%.

durandetto said:
So I have a quick question. I'm getting ready to start adding chlorine and balancer to my newly installed pool. What I've read so far I should put the balancer in a sock and put it in the skimmer then add the chlorine to the pool by the return, but how much chlorine do I add for the first shock? I bought Walmart bleach that is 8.25%.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/ is your friend. Put your pool size in at the top and down near the bottom, select the pool surface and all that.

If the water just came out of the faucet and the pool hasn't had time to get green or cloudy, plug zero in the now for FC and CYA and it will probably recommend you target 2 or 3. After that, your target FC depends on the CYA level. Just assume the CYA is dissolving, don't bother testing it for a week. Put in whatever your targeted CYA was for the now column.

pool-school/pool_calculator

[center:35t4fecl]
file.php
[/center:35t4fecl]

My water is nowhere near clear and every time I start my filter it blows cloudy from the return. I rinsed it but it didn't help so I did a quick backwash and it came out orange for about 30 sec.. So now I have a sock with balancer in it by the return and just dumped two 121oz bottles of 8.25% bleach in. I'm gonna check the fc and ph in an hour or so. My Taylor test kit will be here in a couple days so I'll report back with full test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's what I have right now. My fc level is currently over 5, but that's as high as my cheap test kit goes. I have stabalizer going in as we speak and I added two gallons of 8.25% bleach to get me to my current fc level. Sorry for all the questions I have read and understand what I need to do once I get a cya reading, but this is a freshly filled pool with well water. Just looking for a couple pointers to get me on the right track till I can do a cya test and get this thing clear and swimmable.

Attachments

• 2013-06-17 18.09.22.jpg
    2013-06-17 18.09.22.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 163
It was much worse before we started adding chemicals. The first night we ran the filter with the Metal free Crud it seemed better, then we added a bag of Zappit shock and it got worse. Now its as good as the first morning after we started the filter for the first time. It's been a few hours since I put the bleach in and there hasn't been much change.

I have extremely high iron from mg well as well, and I find that given a few days the iron will settle on the bottom, and and you can vacuum it up. After the pool is clear, normal top ups do not seem to tint the water. If it is balances properly. Just make sure your chlorine is up to prevent it from going green and you will be okay.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

So my Taylor test kit came today haven't quite figured it out yet, but with my old test kit this morning my ph was up towards 8 and my fc was 3. I bought some hth stabalizer/conditioner to add to the 1.75lbs of stabilizer I added the other day. I figured about 2-2.5lbs more to get my level right. My question is should I vacuum first backwash then add cya and bleach? Also how long after adding cya is it safe to swim. My kids really itching to get in the pool. TIA.

If you have junk on the floor, vacuum to waste (if you can) before adding anything. Then fill the pool back up and then re-do your testing and THEN determine what you need to add.

If you need to vacuum to the filter and keep the water you have, I would add the Bleach and CYA and then vacuum.

Otherwise you are adjusting, removing, adding new water and needing to re-adjust. The vacuuming process is usually pretty quick. When I vacuumed first, it saved me hours of filter time and buckets of CL.

I tried to vacuum to filter but I make two passes it starts pumping back into the pool. The problem is I don't have a hose hooked to my valve for backwashing so it just pumps it n the ground next to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support