Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weird union device and spa overflow question

1. Back To Top    #1

Weird union device and spa overflow question

Hello all. I am a newbie at this site. I have a fairly good technical knowledge of pool equipment. But I am stump on my issue and appreciate any help or suggestions. I have a weird union device on my return to spa. See attached. It is the one on the horizontal PVC. I am also having issues on my spa overflow. It seems that the overflow is less than normal. It used to be like a waterfall look. Now it is just a small flow. Here is what I have done so far. Clean my filter. PSI is about 22. Check for blockage and lube all diverters. Check impeller for blockage and lube rings on pump. Check for cracks on pump baskets. I have a feeling that union device has blockage. But I am not sure what it is for. Thanks for your advanced help
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weird union device and spa overflow question

Looks like it could be a check valve of some sort. If you can get it off without losing too much water, I think that might answer the question.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Charlie..Thanks for your quick reply. What is the purpose of a check valve? A little confuse. If the pump is off, why would you think I would lose water? Thanks again.

4. Back To Top    #4

A check valve only allows water to flow through in one direction. Without the check valve the spa would drain down to the level of the pool as soon as the pump turned off.

Check valves sometimes get debris stuck inside, which can prevent them from fully closing and allow the spa to drain down slowly. If you get open those unions you can look inside and see if the parts are intact and free of debris or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks JasonLion, I was wondering about that too.

I thought that I'd seen that type of "union" before, that's why I posted my answer.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Charlie and JasonLion. I will try to get it the check valve open. It looks like all I need to do is unscrew both ends of the check valve and pull it out. I will then check for debris and hose it if needed. Will report what I find. Thanks.