Low on everything

Jun 15, 2013
Bethel, CT
I am totally new to owning a pool. Just bought this house about 2 months ago and am all excited to get the pool going. I have spent the last 3 weeks cleaning the pool and filter. Now the water is completely clear and i took apart the filter and followed the instructions in the pool school to clean the filter with a 10:1 mix of water and muriatic acid.

I bought the TF-100 kit but prior to receiving it i took a water sample to the pool store and they tested it and told me that there was copper in the pool and to use Leslie's Metal Free to get rid of it. I did this procedure twice per their directions and then shocked the pool with 1.5 gals of liquid shock and put 1 Blueshield Jumbo slo-poke chlorine tabs in each skimmer (there are 2). They also had me add 5lbs of ABC (pre-mixed it with warm water prior to adding to the pool).

I tested the water with the TF-100 and the results are below. Everything is showing low.

FC - 0
PH - less than 6.8 (not sure how much lower as this is the last measurement on the fill block)
TA - 35
CYA - 50

I didnt do the other tests thinking i need to get these all balanced first.

Where should i go from here? And Happy Fathers day to all the dad's out there :) THANKS!

Welcome to TFP!

Good thing you have a good kit. That makes things easier.

Your pH is low and you can use either a pH-up product, soda ash, or aeration to raise it. You also lack chlorine. I'm assuming that you don't have a salt water chlorine generator so you will need to manually add chlorine and this is best done in the form of bleach since your CYA is already high enough. Click the link in my sig line to go to the Pool Calculator. This will calculate how much of each chemical you need to add to your pool to get things in line based upon your gallons. With a CYA of 50, you should always target a FC of 6 and never let it go below 4.

Great!

So, I checked the calculator and it says to add 2 (76oz) boxes of Borax given Borate of 0... How do i know what amount of Borate is in the water?

Also says to add 3 gals of bleach. Can i add the bleach and borax at the same time and should i add the borax in batches?

Last but most importantly (at least for the kids...) when is it safe to swim in?

Thanks again!!

Luck is my middle name :) I think i did get pool stored on the metalfree advice though :)

ploizzo said:
Great!

So, I checked the calculator and it says to add 2 (76oz) boxes of Borax given Borate of 0... How do i know what amount of Borate is in the water?

Also says to add 3 gals of bleach. Can i add the bleach and borax at the same time and should i add the borax in batches?

Last but most importantly (at least for the kids...) when is it safe to swim in?

Thanks again!!

Luck is my middle name :) I think i did get pool stored on the metalfree advice though :)
If you haven't added any, just call it zero. There may be traces in the tap water, but who cares?

Wait 30 minutes between chemical additions to let things mix. pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals gives instructions on adding stuff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.