So glad I found you!

smasty

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2013
I'm one of those stupid women who walked out of the pool store last week confused with boat loads of chemicals...even though I already knew better. So I'm starting fresh here...I love testing, always have. My pool is 1 year old, was installed last year. Here's the scoop:
Highlands Ranch Colorado, IG, plaster, 8000 gallons, Tahoe swim system, UV, Pentair 320 cartridge 120gpm.

FC: 0, PH: 7.6, TA: 300, CH: 410, CYA: 80-90

Keep in mind I'm very new here and until just now did not *know* BBB---so all this was pre-BBB. All last year I managed my pool by using UV and very little chlorine. Every thing seemed just great. Crystal clear, testing was balanced, no growth. Tap water is naturally hard and naturally high PH. This year my UV canister cracked due to bad winterization and for almost 2 months I had to learn to manage the pool using more chlorine than I used last year. As things became increasingly out of balance I decided to pop in to the local spa store last week. All day yesterday I read *my* story relayed here (dealings with spa/pool stores). Long story short I was advised to add massive amounts of TA increaser and chlorine. *They* kept telling me my CYA was over 150 (they never mention dilution, only adding more and more chemicals). When I tested my own CYA it shows 80-90 after I had done about a 15% dilution.

Obviously I've got issues with FC, TA and CH above. If I add liquid bleach at night (which I've been doing) won't the UV unit just neutralize it? The pool calculator shows I need some calcium chloride for the hardness...where is the best place to buy that? The pool calculator also shows I need 376 oz of baking soda to treat the high TA...but I thought baking soda was used to INCREASE TA (which is already too high).

I will definitely be a BBB convert and will support the cause. Thanks!!! And special thanks to the people who take their time walking newbies through.
Sue

Welcome to TFP!

You don't need calcium and you don't need baking soda. I think that you may be reading things the wrong way. You are correct in that baking soda is used to raise TA. Yours is too high already and needs to come down.

Your CH is already high. You're getting calcium for free in your tap water. Don't add any more.

Your UV system will oxidize some CC but the effects will be negligible. You are getting more UV from the sun than anywhere else.

You need to get some chlorine in there. If your CYA is 80, you need a minimum of 6 ppm FC. Any less will get you algae.

At this point, you really just need to get some chlorine in, read Pool School, and get yourself a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 from tftestkits.net or a Taylor K-2006.

ETA: And NO, you are NOT stupid!! How else would you have known what to do? Pool stores usually don't even know what they are talking about and are in business to make money off of you. Keeping you in the dark is good business for them.

Thank you!! I am a do-do. I reversed the columns in the pool calculator...so I see the mistake. Yep...tonight I will get a bunch of chlorine in there. I do have a Taylor 2005 that I've been using. I ordered the 2006, should be here next week. I read up on the UV issue yesterday on this site, found it very interesting...could have saved some $$$ probably. Especially being at 6000 feet in Colorado...lots of UV here! But....was it just dumb luck that last year was such a great year? Was it new pool + new water? Because really, I was probably at FC0 nearly all year (I kept 1 costco tri-chlor puck in a skimmer at until dissolved and never shocked), and the pool was lovely.

Yes, with fresh water devoid of algae nutrients (phosphates and nitrates) you got lucky. However, when the FC was very near zero, bacteria could grow in the pool and you are always introducing new fecal matter and skin bacteria into the pool when you swim. They could become a problem if they grow uncontrollably so that you were to ingest higher concentrations. Perhaps the Trichlor kept a very small below detection FC level (especially with the DPD test you were using). Again, that's just being lucky.

smasty said:
Thank you!! I am a do-do. I reversed the columns in the pool calculator...so I see the mistake. Yep...tonight I will get a bunch of chlorine in there. I do have a Taylor 2005 that I've been using. I ordered the 2006, should be here next week. I read up on the UV issue yesterday on this site, found it very interesting...could have saved some $$$ probably. Especially being at 6000 feet in Colorado...lots of UV here! But....was it just dumb luck that last year was such a great year? Was it new pool + new water? Because really, I was probably at FC0 nearly all year (I kept 1 costco tri-chlor puck in a skimmer at until dissolved and never shocked), and the pool was lovely.

Well...if you're a "do-do" then I am, too. I've been using the calculator for 2 years and just 30 minutes ago I did the same thing. I just wanted to bump my chlorine up a bit. "What the heck?"...and then "Duh."

Anyhoo, welcome to TFP. The great folks here will get you squared away.

smasty said:
When I tested my own CYA it shows 80-90 after I had done about a 15% dilution.

I think that part got overlooked, didn't see anyone mention it.

Here are directions to test for higher levels of CYA

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:

Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
Shake briefly to mix.
Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.

Scott...that is brilliant! Obvious, once you think about it, but most people wouldn't think about it. I'm printing those diretions, laminating them and placing them in the little blue box. Thanks!
Sue

Your on the right track now, you've got your pool kit ordered and you've come to realize you don't need all pool store junk.
A few reads of Pool School and a few tests and you'll be on your way, by the end of summer you'll be a pro.

smasty said:
Scott...that is brilliant! Obvious, once you think about it, but most people wouldn't think about it. I'm printing those diretions, laminating them and placing them in the little blue box. Thanks!
Sue

I take no credit for that, I simply relay information already posted on this forum. The longer your here, you start to know what there is and where to find it.

extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

CYA is the big issue I have to deal with right now--so that's a great tip. I'll have to decide if I can make it through the year or do a major dilution. Those darn pool stores kept telling me to add pounds and pounds of tri chlor every week to an 8000 gal pool....and now I've got quite a build up. I guess on the upside...it's only 8000 gals, so a 3000-4000 gal dilution is not as bad as it could be!

I'll have to ask the landscaper if the water is safe to use on the trees....anyone know? In dry/drought Colorado...it's a sin to put that much water down the gutter. I'd have to sneek out in the middle of the night with my pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.