Summertime CYA

kkendall

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2012
Phoenix
Should CYA be brought up a little higher in the summer vs winter level?
Mine is at 30

I noticed about a week ago a slight odor of chlorine. Up to then, it was hard to telll there was any chlorine in the pool at all (CC has alwasy been 0). So I tested and noticed CC was at .5.

Brought the chlorine up some and tested overnight. FC loss was .5, and CC was now at 1

Added a couple gallons and drove FC up to 15. Throughout the day, I tested every couple hours and saw FC drop like a rock, but CC came back to .5. By the end of the day, FC was at 5 - CC still .5

Made me think, the best time to shock is overnight. Also made me question my CYA level being too low for the summer here in Phx.

kkendall said:
I see some folks use granular stabilizer to raise CYA. I've been thinking of just using trichlor tabs until CYA is where I want.

Opinions? Does it really matter?

No, not really. Tablets will add CYA much more slowly. You can use them to both chlorinate and raise the CYA. Just remember to keep checking your CYA along the way to make sure that you don't over do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.