Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Summertime CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Summertime CYA

Should CYA be brought up a little higher in the summer vs winter level?
    Mine is at 30

I noticed about a week ago a slight odor of chlorine. Up to then, it was hard to telll there was any chlorine in the pool at all (CC has alwasy been 0). So I tested and noticed CC was at .5.

Brought the chlorine up some and tested overnight. FC loss was .5, and CC was now at 1

Added a couple gallons and drove FC up to 15. Throughout the day, I tested every couple hours and saw FC drop like a rock, but CC came back to .5. By the end of the day, FC was at 5 - CC still .5

Made me think, the best time to shock is overnight. Also made me question my CYA level being too low for the summer here in Phx.
    * 18.5 K Gallon, 8ft deep, IG, Pebble Radiance * Pentair VS 3050 Pump w/420 Cartridge Filter
    * Blue Square Q-360 In-floor Cleaning System * UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator
    * Pool startup: 09-04-2012 * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Summertime CYA

Yes, in Phoenix you certainly want CYA above 30. I recommend 50 to 60.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I see some folks use granular stabilizer to raise CYA. I've been thinking of just using trichlor tabs until CYA is where I want.

Opinions? Does it really matter?
    * 18.5 K Gallon, 8ft deep, IG, Pebble Radiance * Pentair VS 3050 Pump w/420 Cartridge Filter
    * Blue Square Q-360 In-floor Cleaning System * UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator
    * Pool startup: 09-04-2012 * TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kkendall
    I see some folks use granular stabilizer to raise CYA. I've been thinking of just using trichlor tabs until CYA is where I want.

Opinions? Does it really matter?
    No, not really. Tablets will add CYA much more slowly. You can use them to both chlorinate and raise the CYA. Just remember to keep checking your CYA along the way to make sure that you don't over do it.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

managed carefully, the tabs are ok. Probably easier and more predictable to dose one time with granular.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School