When are wrinkles in installation of AG liner a bad thing

lne216

Mar 24, 2013
Central PA
Replacing this liner has been one headache after another. I live in central PA and every other day is rain and cool temps.

We are replacing our AG liner. 24' round pool. 16 years old. Not much rust except around skimmer so did all the metal/rust replair work. Moved skimmer opening, installed foam pad on walls (that was not easy) took up sand coving and put down Gladon cove, reworked the sand and it rained hard. Spent another 2 days reworking the sand.

Well, apparently we did not level the sand as we thought we had. I went around the pool with a 2x4 and 4' level very carefully. It look me days. Once we started the shop vac we soon realized we had a problem. The shop vac did not "reach" the area where the sand is low. Plus, we ran out of sun (yesterday) so there are a few wrinkles from the folding process in this same area. We thought adding a few inches of water to the pool would help straighten out those wrinkles but it did not work. The vacuum sucked the wrinkles out of the rest of the pool floor, just not in this low area. This area is not very close to the skimmer where the vacuum was running. It looks bad and I am worried about wear and tear on the new liner. This is also where the ladder will be, but of course we could move the ladder location as we do not have a deck.

So...my questions are:
1. how long can the liner stay unfilled further? Rain and clouds today and cool, sunny tomorrow, rain and clouds on Tues, then sunny for 4 days. Can I wait until Wed. or Thurs to finish? (Today is Sunday) It is taught at the moment because it was cool last night.
2. Do I just go get some sand and start over in the low area, filling it to bring it up higher? Will the new liner be okay without water and will I be able to get it back on the walls if I do this tomorrow?
3. Or do I just leave the wrinkles? and move the ladder?

Please help! The videos on line make it look so easy, but apparently nothing is ever easy for me. :(

Re: When are wrinkles in installation of AG liner a bad thi

The liner staying unfilled is not a problem for the liner. It is a problem for the pool walls having NO OUTWARD PRESSURE ON THEM so it doesn't take much wind to blow the old house down so to speak. Warm sunshine is your friend on stretching that liner. NOW is the time to take care of your low sand spot and fix that wrinkle issue there. If it's gonna be a few days before you can fix and attempt it again, especially with bad weather hovering, I'd try and find a way to attach some guy wires and stakes to hold those pool walls outward. I know my uprights have holes drilled in them at the top just to attach the cap posts to them. Good luck.

Re: When are wrinkles in installation of AG liner a bad thi

Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.

I was worried about the liner but glad to know if will be okay. I am thinking of pulling back the half of the liner and adding sand, rehanging the liner and then starting the shop vac tomorrow. We are to have a partly cloudy day. The forecast is not showing an all sunny day until Thursday.

There is pressure on the walls now as the liner seems to have contracted overnight. Should I loosen it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.