What would cause phosfloc not to fall to the bottom

The most obvious possibility would be leaving the pump running. You need to have the pump off for at least 8 hours, preferably more, (after running the pump to get the Phos Floc mixed in) for everything to settle.

Phos Floc can also cause secondary clouding, where the Phos Floc does settle to the bottom but there is some additional clouding beyond what settles to the bottom.

By the by, we don't recommend ever using Phos Floc. Phosphates are harmless if you maintain appropriate FC levels. Phosphate removers are a waste of time and money, and frequently cause problems like cloudy water.

the pool store where i have my water tested recommended using it because i had high phosphates. i wish i had found this site first. my water was in range.so they said, it is a 20,000 gal sw pool. i had a metal stain problem and used a stain remover and followed up with a metal magic. after that my water became cloudy. i could see the bottom on shallow end and on the deep end i could almost see the bottom. i had also recently changed my hayward filter sand using quickrete pool sand.i backwash the filter until clear. i put the phosfloc in and circ bypassing the filter for three hrs. it has been 24 hrs and the pool is still milky . any ideas? thanks for responding.

My main recommendation is to stop listening to what the pool store says. They make money selling you products and you get a cloudy pool :(

Please post a complete set of water test results. It is nearly impossible to diagnose issues like this one without knowing the levels.

Your filter should clear up the cloudiness, but it may take a while. What kind of filter do you have (sand, cartridge, DE)?

Some cloudiness for a few days after using stain remover is normal. However getting algae in that situation is also common, so there are at least three possible sources of cloudiness (stain remover, phos floc, algae).

the pool store where i have my water tested recommended using it because i had high phosphates.
any ideas?
Stay out of that pool store...they are not helping you. Take charge of your pool water management by purchasing a very good test kit that will save you money and teach you what you need to know. That "free" testing you are getting at the pool store is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Mind what these people say, because they're right. I spent a summer foolishly fighting phosphates. The amount of money that I spent in one summer was ridiculous and I'm too ashamed to even say how much money that was.

The pool stores bamboozled me and had me convinced that if I didn't clear out those phosphates, I would have a swamp with frogs living in it. I was on the floc / clarifying roller coaster. I'd add the floculant and then have to add these tablets to clear the water from white back to blue.

Eventually, I ended up draining the pool and refilling. Guess what? I still had phosphates. (Yes, I had tested tap water before filling and the tap water had none.)

I had to give up on the battle because I just didn't have any more money to throw at it. Little did I know that was the smartest thing I could have done.

If I could go back to that summer, I'd tell myself to spend all that money on a mini-vacation for hubby and myself!

right now my pump is off due to trying to get phosfloc to settle to bottom. man i wish i hadn't put that Crud in my pool! anyway, my chlorine is not there because i've had my pump down .ph 7.2 ak 100 . do i need to keep trying to get it to settle or start my pump to try to filter it out?

That depends on how long it has been. If you have already waited 24 hours, then give up and get the pump running. But if it hasn't been 24 hours since you turned off the pump, give it some more time, it might yet settle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for the testing info. i started my pool to filtering last night before i went to work. it's been filtering about 14 hours. don't seem to be clearing up. do you think that just filtering by itself will get the phosfloc out?

Sand filters take a little longer to clear up cloudy water. I would continue to filter 24/7 until it is clear. I think if you keep throwing the floc/clarifying products at your pool, you are just lengthening your fight. It can be very hard to give up the mentality of pool store advice (keep throwing stuff in until something works!) even if you are not seeking the advice of the pool store anymore. Keep your water levels in range using poolcalculator.com and take total control of your pool! A good test kit is the best investment you will make for your pool. I have the TF100 and it tells me everything I need to know!

I am by no means an expert, so if someone else comes along and disputes my advice, listen to them! However, I can tell you that after finding this site around 4 years ago, and following the methods taught here, I do not go to the pool store and buy all the wonderful products they sell. I know how to maintain my pool, I am very comfortable with my family swimming in a pool that I know is properly sanitized, and I have beautiful water! You will find countless stories of people who can share the exact same experience as me. It works. You just have to trust it and you will see amazing results! :-D

duraleigh said:
Great post, KW :lol:
Thanks Duraleigh! Yay!! :whoot:

gabby said:
thanks. where do i get skimmer socks?
I just use women's knee highs. They are a lot cheaper than commercially marketed skimmer socks, but they do the same job. I wrap the top around the skimmer basket and push the foot through to the bottom of the basket. Once I see it is dirty, I wash it off with the garden hose and put it back in. Very easy but effective!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support