Suggested improvement to the HTH chlorine/Ph test kit

Jun 3, 2012
Everyone over the age of 55 could benefit from this suggested improvement to the old reliable HTH 3-Way Test Kit: put a small hole in the top middle of the plastic test block for an 8' cord (I use "parachute" cord). Instead of having to bend down and get on your knees to sample the water (hard for us older folk) you can then just drop the test block into the pool and then haul in back with the cord for testing. No creaky bending over and getting on your knees. I wrap the cord around the middle of the block when I'm not using it. A real d'uh moment when I thought of this. Or has it already been suggested?

There is only one problem I can think of with that.

For best test results, you need to sample the water at least elbow length below the surface, to ensure you don't get any crud (oils, bugs, and the like) that may be floating on the surface, that can skew the test results.

You do this by holding the test tubes inverted as you put them in the water, then turn it over and allow it to fill.

You might be able to make some sort of "testing pole" that would be long enough to keep you from having to bend down. There might even be a commercially made device like this.

I have a deck at pool-top height...pump and gear is down below. I have a plywood slat, 2"x4'x3/4", with a hole at the end for pumping the D.E. handle from the deck. I cut a slot in it to fit it to the stiffener bar that runs across the bottom of the test block...I attach to the test block to that to push it down to the right depth, then free it to sample. A bit more trouble, but works...and I get the same test results...but then I have a Polaris 65 Pool robot stirring up the water (above ground, 15,000 gallon pool)

I have seen people use a long PVC pipe open on both ends to get their sample:

Hand over the top, insert pipe into water until the bottom is at the depth needed.

Take hand off, water goes into pipe. Hand back on top, lift pipe out of water.

Drain pipe into bowl or other container our directly into test tube etc.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.