Advice Needed: Remove Palm Tree, or Not to Remove Palm Tree

Jun 5, 2013
Manteca, CA
Moved into house and noticed that the pavers along side of pool next to 3 palm trees is upheaved a bit and not level with the rest of the pool deck. I suspect the turgor pressure from the roots of the nearby palms are the cause but I cant be sure either. As you can see from the pictures, looks like previous home owner noticed this and caulked up the gap between pool bowl and paver. Also, you can see that the previous owner didn't bother watering the lawn and let it completely die. This palms I am sure are thirsting for water. I fear that if I re-sod the lawn and start watering again, this will trigger a root explosion in the palms.

Question is, am I safe here with just leaving the palms? Or should I look to have them taken down? Is the upheaval of the pavement a sure sign of palm root destruction of my pool?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 272
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 271
Re: Advice Needed: Remove Palm Tree, or Not to Remove Palm T

I hate to lose any trees as they are too hard to come by around here, but I wouldn't let one destroy my pool either. Sorry, but I think it should go if it is damaging or will damge your deck. Just my .02...

I just dealt with the same issue as the palm tree was heaving my sandstone coping. It was a lot of work as I had to remove lots of root in order to fix it. Ok now but I am sure that it will be an issue again soon. I'd take them out. I don't think that palms should be within 6 feet of concrete or rock for this reason.

Strange. I am reading conflicting things around the net about palm roots not have destructive characteristics. Looks like they will have to go.

257WbyMag,

How much did it set you back for each tree, or did you do it yourself?

Not sure if you can see in the picture, but just above the tile there is a white strip of coping running all along the pool that separates the tile from the pavement stones. Near where the tree is, the paving stone is upheaved and it looks like the previous owner put in gray caulking to seal up the gap. This was done sloppily done and it covers up the white coping in the area where the pavement is upheaved. But no crack yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.