Partial drain on above ground pool

tarab

Jun 15, 2013
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, I have a 16 x 32 vinyl above ground with a deep end of 5ft. I have had my pool 13 years. 1st 6 yrs I used baquacil. Had a lot of problems with water mold and pink slime so I switched to bioguard. Been on chlorine for 7 yrs now. I have a chlorine demand and after spending $400.00 dollars so far on pucks, diclor, triclor I still have no free chlorine reading. Test are showing cya up over 150. Pool store are not concerned they just want me to keep addin more shock. I have added 20 Lbs shock so far and still have not beat the demand. I am fed up of pool stores. My pool is clear but I don't like not having free chlorine reading. So after all this.... How do I do a partial drain on my above ground vinyl pool. My goal is to get the cya down to 40-60 and never use pucks, dichlor, triclor again. Is it safe to just vacuum to waste until it is half full and then fill it up again.

Yes. You may have to do that twice to get CYA down to manageable. Don't drain it all, just do it in 50% increments.

You need to RUN from that pool store and commit yourself to a really good test kit and manage your own water......you'll never look back. :lol:

Partial drain has started. The test kits I have are aquachek 7 test strips and the Taylor K2006 complete Fas-dpd chlorine. Can you recommend better test?

Got a little nervous, pool water was down to 26 1/2 inches deep, a few wrinkles started to show up. Not sure if they were there before or not. Starting to refill now. Will test after refill. How long should I let the water circulate prior to retesting cya?

If you go for another drain/refill, leave a ft or more of water in the shallow end. :goodjob:

Ok, I refilled pool. Let water circulate for 1 hr. I tested ph it showed 7.2. I tested free chlorine in showed 0.0. Alkalinity was 250. It took 25 drops to turn red. I tested cya and it showed to be 50. I tried using the pool calculator and it showed adding 400oz. of 10% chlorine. I added the chlorine and will retest in the a.m. My taylor test kit is 2 yrs old. I probably need to buy some new. I am still learning so please have patience. I may ask a lot of questions. If in the a.m. I still have free chlorine, I need to figure out how much to add daily as a maintence dose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.