Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Partial drain on above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Partial drain on above ground pool

Ok, I have a 16 x 32 vinyl above ground with a deep end of 5ft. I have had my pool 13 years. 1st 6 yrs I used baquacil. Had a lot of problems with water mold and pink slime so I switched to bioguard. Been on chlorine for 7 yrs now. I have a chlorine demand and after spending $400.00 dollars so far on pucks, diclor, triclor I still have no free chlorine reading. Test are showing cya up over 150. Pool store are not concerned they just want me to keep addin more shock. I have added 20 Lbs shock so far and still have not beat the demand. I am fed up of pool stores. My pool is clear but I don't like not having free chlorine reading. So after all this.... How do I do a partial drain on my above ground vinyl pool. My goal is to get the cya down to 40-60 and never use pucks, dichlor, triclor again. Is it safe to just vacuum to waste until it is half full and then fill it up again.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Partial drain on above ground pool

Yes. You may have to do that twice to get CYA down to manageable. Don't drain it all, just do it in 50% increments.

You need to RUN from that pool store and commit yourself to a really good test kit and manage your own water......you'll never look back.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Partial drain has started. The test kits I have are aquachek 7 test strips and the Taylor K2006 complete Fas-dpd chlorine. Can you recommend better test?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tarab
    Partial drain has started. The test kits I have are aquachek 7 test strips and the Taylor K2006 complete Fas-dpd chlorine. Can you recommend better test?
    K2006 is a good one. Toss the strips.

And Welcome!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Go get the strips you tossed and toss them even FURTHER!

Trust your K2006...it's a good one.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ditto
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

Got a little nervous, pool water was down to 26 1/2 inches deep, a few wrinkles started to show up. Not sure if they were there before or not. Starting to refill now. Will test after refill. How long should I let the water circulate prior to retesting cya?

8. Back To Top    #8

A good hour should be plenty to mix in the new water.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you go for another drain/refill, leave a ft or more of water in the shallow end.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, I refilled pool. Let water circulate for 1 hr. I tested ph it showed 7.2. I tested free chlorine in showed 0.0. Alkalinity was 250. It took 25 drops to turn red. I tested cya and it showed to be 50. I tried using the pool calculator and it showed adding 400oz. of 10% chlorine. I added the chlorine and will retest in the a.m. My taylor test kit is 2 yrs old. I probably need to buy some new. I am still learning so please have patience. I may ask a lot of questions. If in the a.m. I still have free chlorine, I need to figure out how much to add daily as a maintence dose.