Cartridge filter comparison

vegasGMC said:
Each filter was used for 2 weeks with the pump set to run 2 hours a day.

I would say both were used equally.

This follows what I have found when I switched to Unicel at the suggestion from PoolForum.com

Dirt and dead algae were sent right back into the pool.

When you physically compare the two, you can almost see your fingerprints through the Intex filter, where you can only see a shadow of your finger through the Unicel.

While I haven't tried them yet, the Filbur are supposed to be as good as the Unicel. For Intex "B" filters, Use Unicel C-5315 or Filbur FC-3752.

Both Unicel and Filbur have excellent interchange search functions on their respective websites.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I was not even aware of those Unicel filters. I just ordered a couple of them. Can't wait to try them out. I get a lot of pollen on my floor and the Intex cartridge seems to have a hard time trapping it because it shows up again shortly after vacuuming. If these Unicel carts keep my floor cleaner, then I'll gladly pay the extra $ for them. Thanks again!

Unicell filters transformed my Intex swimming pool experience. I hardly change filters now at all and you can clean them and they are so much better built than those Intex filters.....night and day difference. Been using them for the past two years with Intex pumps..

Bob E.

While it does seem the finest particles make it back into my pool after vacuuming, the idea that the Intex filter catches nothing but "chunks" and comes out sparkling clean after two weeks seems unbelievable based on what mine come out looking like.

Here's mine after 1-1/2 weeks. I put a couple nylons over it as a prefilter. Whoops; no time to resize pics, trust me it's dirty.

I still want to try to find a filter that will catch those finest particles. I called every pool store in my area to get a Unicel and nobody had one. I ended up getting a Pleatco to try, and may order a Unicel from online.

I should have mentioned that I also have a 1600gph sand filter that I use for the Hayward skimmer and for vacuuming that keeps the pool clear. I have the 1500gph cartridge pump set up to circulate water from the floor of the pool-PVC pipe going down from the old slimmer port in the wall and used the return eye that came with the Hayward skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I've had the Pleatco filter in for about 3 days. "A" style.

The bottom looks pretty clean now, but I already got a low flow alarm from the SWG. I didn't think there was that much stuff on the bottom. Well I'll change it now that the pool is caught up and see how long I get out of a fresh filter. I sure hope I can get at least a week preferably two between filter changes. If not I'm not sure what direction to head next.

Maybe the larger Intex pump with the "B" cartridge?

The Kristal Clear 633 is the 2500 gph for Intex etc pools. Not too bad on performance, moves a good amount of water. When you remove as much restriction to water flow as you can, the pump section actually is fairly decent. As you probably have already figured out, the size of the Intex filters is woefully inadequate for the job they are called upon to perform. Any trouble with your water, and the tiny filter size becomes part of the problem in clearing your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.