Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got Duped On A Hose?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Phoenix, AZ

Got Duped On A Hose?

Bought a swimline 100ft backwash hose on eBay. I've never had a backwash hose before but this is definitely not what I thought it would be like. The ad called it "heavy duty" and this is a cheap, translucent plastic sheath! I couldn't even get it on the pipe (correct size) without getting it all ripped up. I already created a claim to return it on ebay, but take a look at it. This thing wouldn't have lasted past one backwash, if that, right??

~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Got Duped On A Hose?

That certainly looks thinner than the ones I have usually seen.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    NE Kansas

Go to your local hardware store or rental place, ask if they ever sell thier used pump hoses.
    I bought a 50ft long, 2 inch hose that has the threaded ends for $20.00 at my local Water's True Value Rental desk.
    The guy said he had about 25 hoses of different size and lengths in the back that they have had for years. I got my pick of the bunch. Went home and glued a PVC threaded male collar on my waste pipe. No issues with needing to clamp it or worry about it staying on.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

As long as there are no kinks, the backwash hose has very little pressure on it.

I bought a vinyl one at Lowes. It feels sturdy, but I assure you, they can pop if they aren't rolled out completely smooth.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

You can also buy old out of certification date fire hoses on ebay, typically you can find 50-75 ft hoses in the $30-$40 range, many times these were in fire cabinets and never used.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~