Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water!!!

My pool was uncovered all winter and we started getting it ready about a week ago. I think I need serious help because I think I have done any and everything to get it ready. The water is so cloudy We have above ground, sand filter. We had serious green algae, but now see nothing in our water at all. We have shocked and chlorinated about a million times. Also used algae treatment, changed sand in filter, swept and brushed everyday for hours. Our chlorine reading was still VERY low. We then resorted to Clorox. We poured 10 gallons in the pool. From the window the pool looks great, blue and no debris. But when you get close it is so milky, the bottom is not visible. Oh yeah, now our chlorine is testing extremely high, still cloudy! Please help, we really want to swim.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    Welcome to TFP!

It can take the filter up to a week to clear the water after all the algae is dead. Keep an eye on the filter and backwash/clean it as needed. While that is happening you need to keep the chlorine level high just in case you didn't get all of the algae.

Do you have a test kit? If so please post your test numbers. If you don't already have a good test kit, you should think about getting a top quality test kit like the ones from TF Test Kits. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. There is no better investment in your pool than a good test kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Acton Maine
    Do you have a test kit? You need to post a full set of numbers so we can help.

Also we need the specs on your pool and all equipment.
    EDIT - sorry Jason beat me to the punch
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator ,