replaced 80% of water to battle high CH, new start

May 20, 2013
My old water CH = 950 and I replaced 80% of water yesterday and refilled the pool, water looks clear. Now the test results:

FC = 0.4
CC = 0.2
pH = 8.0
TA = 160
CH = 190 (Taylor test kit turned from red to purple at 170, a little blue at 180 and a little more blue at 190 and totally blue at 200, not sure what number to take)
CYA = 20
Salt = 600

Want to start off correctly, please give step by step suggestions. I have regular bleach and 3" Stabilized Chlorinator tabs. Should I use the tab now as I need more stabilizer? Does the tab increase CH level too?

I also bought 280 lb pool salt from Leslie Pools, is their salt good (pure)?

Thanks alot!

Add acid to fix pH, target 7.5. Get some chlorine in there, target 3. It doesn't matter which you do first, just space them half an hour apart. You will need to raise the target FC as the CYA dissolves.

Each puck will raise CYA by 2, so you can feed as many as 10 to the pool. But they take a while to dissolve, so it will be a couple weeks (maybe months) before CYA is up to 40ish, which is good for a bleach pool.

If you plan to use the SWG, then don't use the pucks. You can put a couple in the floater, but don't wait for them to raise CYA to 70! That will put you into august sometime! You'd do better to buy plain old CYA/stabilizer and add it via sock to get to 70.

Rule of thumb is to treat the pool as a bleach pool and get it all balanced before adding salt and turning on the generator.

Thanks Richard. I've put in acid and bleach to get the PH=7.4 and FC=3. Will get the stabilizer from Pool Time Chlorine Stabilizer today to increase CYA.

Is CH=190 too low for plaster pool as the recommended range being 250-350? Should I bring up CH now or wait until after I add CYA and salt and retest?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.