Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on refilling pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on refilling pool

I had to put a new liner in my pool (boy was that a project!) I was wondering if I have to shock my pool if it is not green? I know I need to add cya and bleach to bring my chlorine up, but if it is clear I should not have to shock do I?

Thanks!
    24" Round Above Ground 52" high
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 Platinum Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on refilling pool

If you have a test kit with FAS-DPD chlorine test you can run an over night chlorine loss test. That test is most accurate at shock levels but is ok to run at non-shock levels for a quick test.

The longer the pool water sat without chlorine the more you are at risk for something growing.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    If you have a test kit with FAS-DPD chlorine test you can run an over night chlorine loss test. That test is most accurate at shock levels but is ok to run at non-shock levels for a quick test.

The longer the pool water sat without chlorine the more you are at risk for something growing.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    I just filled it up overnight with city water. I do have the test kit recommended on here, so I guess I will bring my chlorine levels up, and then test them over night after I get some CYA in the pool.

Thansk!
    24" Round Above Ground 52" high
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 Platinum Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

With a new, clean liner and city water, I wouldn't bother with the shock process. Just keep close watch on FC, because it will disappear fast without the CYA sunscreen effect.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!