First Filter Cleaning

Jun 12, 2013
Orlando, FL
I'm a new pool owner slowly figuring all this out...thanks to this site!!

I have a cartridge filter: Hayward C12002. When we finally got the pump flowing, the psi was 8. So I figured, once it reaches about 10-11 psi is when I should clean it, right? (Normal pumping pressure + 20-25%). Today I saw it was at about 11 psi - time to clean the filter, right!? I open it up, take out the cartridge, do the hose spray method (wow...some "interesting" stuff came out of there), buttoned it all back up, and turned on the pump. My pressure immediately shot back up to 11 psi.

Is that the new/normal pressure (maybe the 8psi was just the startup/break in pressure)? Or do I need to clean it more/again?

Thanks!

Nic

Try soaking the cartridge in TSP overnight. (1 cup per 5 gallons of water)

Make sure your rinse it well before installing again.

Yes, do what mas985 says for best results.

You can just spray things off without TSP, although it takes a while and uses a lot of water. The TSP makes so much of a difference though. Problem with TSP though is that in some areas, it isn't available. I get mine at Home Depot where it can be found in the painting aisle. Painters use it to clean their paintbrushes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.