Need to ditch my SWG, but what to do now?

Jul 21, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Well our slate pool coping has finally eroded to the point where I need to replace it. All of the company's bidding for the job have stated that I'll probably have the same problem (albeit to a lesser degree) if I stay with a natural stone and SWG. This leaves me in a bit of a quandry. Other than the coping issue, I've been really happy with my SWG. It's been really easy to keep my pool in balance.

I need to find an alternative to the SWG. I had an OK run with BBB when I was trying to get to the root of our coping problems, but the frequency of adding bleach was problematic. I'm usually out of town about 1 wk per month.

So I'm thinking about installing a Stenner pump chlorine feeder and integrating it into the existing Hayward pro-logic automation system. There's still one empty auxilliary relay so I figure the stenner pump could be wired in to use the existing pool timer & remote. The pool pump is a 2 speed that usually runs 4hrs at high, 6hrs low. I'd also feed the chlorine in through a tapped section of straight pipe that would lie right where the SWG is currently plumbed in.

Any thoughts on this type of set up (ie. 120v vs. 240v pump). It seems fairly simple.

Thanks in advance.

vthokie67 said:
After reading your post, I found this thread dealing with slate. I'm not sure you shouldn't think of ditching the slate rather than the SWG. Seems slate is a marginal material around any pool. Best wishes.

Yeah, I'm ditching the slate too. The problem is what to replace it with that can handle the SWG in this area. Can't stand the look of brick, and nobody seems to want to do stamped concrete on a reno project without wanting to tear up the decking (pool is only 4yrs old and there's no reason for that).

This puts me back at a natural product, none of which seem to be able to withstand the SWG. I was hopeful about some of the "quartzite" products, but it appears that ones with the correct colors are actually marble.

The first question I get from every contractor I've had bid on the coping replacement has been "are you really sure you want to keep it a saltwater pool?"

Thanks for the info. I think I found my solution.

Looked at a coping product called Woodridge quartzite. Super dense stuff and virtually no porosity, with a great color range. I'll still probably offset it with slate look alike porcelain tiles. This should allow me to keep the SWG.

Will still seal if the stone will take it. That quartzite is some tight stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.