Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about chlorine

We're doing good with our pool but this question has been on my mind so I thought I'd ask. (We use only liquid chlorine, no tabs).

If you test in the evening, your target FC is 5, and your actual FC when you test that evening is 5, do you normally add any chlorine at that time for overnight to make sure a little extra is in the pool to take you all of the way 24 hours through to the next evening? Or do you just leave it at 5, adding no additional chlorine, let it drop a bit and recheck in the a.m. or sometime the next day?
    7+ years, inground, 25,000 gallon, vinyl, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about chlorine

If you're still at your target level........why add? Are you not losing ANY FC during the day?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Assuming you are using target the way I assume you are, there is no need to add more chlorine. The key point is to never go below the minimum. The target level is a guess at what you need to raise it to now, so it will still be at least the minimum 24 hours later.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok. Thanks. We haven't been adding when we get into that situation. It's variable as to how much FC we lose during the day. Last night was the last time liquid chlorine was added (adjusted to our target 5) and we apparently haven't lost any FC today. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.

I was only wondering if we should add given that situation in my original post ONLY to make sure we don't go below the minimum before I next test the next evening; however, I am on top of testing and sometimes test twice a day. That's how anal I am!

Thnx guys!
    7+ years, inground, 25,000 gallon, vinyl, sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

As you get more experience with your pool you will learn how much it trends to lose in various seasons and weather. I ignore the targets on charts and use my own experience to help me set my chlorination pattern.

Other than shocking I don't usually use the FAS-DPD daily, but that's just my preference. I do use the OTO daily.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump