Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vacuuming does and don't

1. Back To Top    #1

Up in the mountain, Laurentides, Quebec, CANADA

vacuuming does and don't

Hi,

I didn't find a section about vacuuming does and don't in the pool school.

I am wondering when you need to vacuum in draining mode versus filter mode. This is my first season with a pool and from now on I was vacuuming only in drain mode but I realised I'maybe loosing too much precious chemicals doing so. On the other hand I don't want to clog my sand filter... What are your advices regarding this matter?
    24.5k gallons, IG, vinyl, 24 inches sand filter hydropro 063030 sf, hayward pump 1,5 hp c48m2n111b4q

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: vacuuming does and don't

Normally vacuum in filter mode. If the is a lot of debris then vacuum to waste. Best to get up what you can with a leaf net first then vacuum. Vacuum is for fine stuff you can't get with a net.

Leaf net first, then Vacuum.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

When you vacuum to filter, you can always still backwash if need be. I only ever vacuum to waste if I have the extra water from rain I need to lower the level on.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I manage just fine without even having the option of vacuuming to waste. No multiport on my setup.

If you're trying to suck up a compost pile in a green sludge pond, then vacuuming to waste makes sense. But for a well-maintained pool with regular cleaning, you'll mostly just need to empty the leaves and acorns and whatever out of the basket.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Up in the mountain, Laurentides, Quebec, CANADA

Ok great. Thank you!
    24.5k gallons, IG, vinyl, 24 inches sand filter hydropro 063030 sf, hayward pump 1,5 hp c48m2n111b4q