Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shut off valve

1. Back To Top    #1

shut off valve

So I'm sick and tired of losing all that precious water while cleaning the basket out. I want to add a valve in the line between the skimmer and the pump.

Here are the pics of what I have. Can someone tell me what to buy?

Is it best to put the valve near the skimmer or the pump?
    28' X 52" Sharkline Escalade
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5hp
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: shut off valve

A couple plastic nipples and some cheap plastic valves ought to do it.

I'd get some rubber stoppers to put inside so you don't lose water while you work. Unscrew one of the hose barbs and figure out what pipe thread it is (or take it with you) and go get what you need at the hardware store. A small mom-n-pop will probably be able to set you up with what you need.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there any reason to add a valve and the pump also?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by walt7474
    Is there any reason to add a valve and the pump also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would think gravity would shove water out both hoses. So two valves would isolate the pump/filter from the pool. It really shouldn't matter which end gets shut. I'd just put them at the easiest to reach spot in each hose.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK So I went to Menards and got a valve. They didn't carry a 1 1/2" threaded nipple so the guy sold me a galvanized one. I'm not comfortable using it. Any advice? Is the galvanized ok? Is there some other combination of fittings I can use to connect the valve to the pump?

6. Back To Top    #6

I found a great place online to get any fitting needed if you can wait a few days for it to arrive: http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/

Neither Home Depot or Lowes had the PVC SCH80 pipe nipples and the 2X1.5 S/T bushing I needed for my skimmer install.

Galvanized steel has been safely used to deliver drinking water for decades, and should be temporarily fine on your pool. The only thing I would wonder about would be if there is any transfer of the metal content into the water. Although, I'm guessing not if you can drink water delivered from it.

It can and will eventually rust though.

Good Luck!
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner