Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waiting a week to test CYA ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Waiting a week to test CYA ?

As soon as the granular CYA dissolves from the sock can I do the test or do I need to wait a week?

It would seem to me that if it has completely dissolved than it's in the water and would be ok to run the test, right?
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waiting a week to test CYA ?

Just because it is out of the sock, does not mean that the dissolving is done ... I think there is still a chemical transformation that takes some time.

What is the hurry to test? Just assume it is at your target level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Just because it is out of the sock, does not mean that the dissolving is done ... I think there is still a chemical transformation that takes some time.

What is the hurry to test? Just assume it is at your target level.
    I know I sound like I'm in a hurry but my cya is at 10 and I'm going through the bleach faster than I think I should.

I put in almost a gal. At night and the next night it's gone. No swimmers , today was the first day it got to 80 and I keep it clean. Pump runs 8 hrs a day.

I just think my cya is to low and the bleach just doesn't last, heck when I do the test , no color at all, clear as it can be.

Also my water is Gin clear the best it's ever been.

There's nothing wrong with my testing because a couple hrs after the bleach has been added she test fine.( I did that as a check)

4. Back To Top    #4

How much CYA did you add? It sounds like you didn't add nearly enough, but there are some other possibilities.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason, I have about 20 3" pucks left from last year. I have 3 in the clorinator now.

The funny thing is I started the yr with cya @120 , drained 2/3 and was fine.

Then we had 3 big rain storms with one raining 4 in. So I was constantly taking more water out.

Now I'm at 10 and to low. Also last week I used stain free to lift some stains and before I did that I let the chlorine drop to O. Then treated the pool , stains gone and now just to low cya.

I also use an algacide when I lower the chlorine for the stain free.

6. Back To Top    #6

So did you add any CYA or not? Besides the pucks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

No I have not added any granular. 3 puck in there now that are about gone.

8. Back To Top    #8

Then your CYA level is somewhere around 10, maybe a bit lower. The CYA test won't measure levels that low. Also, there is no need to wait a week to test unless you added granular CYA. Liquid stabilizer, dichlor, and trichlor all register on the CYA test within an hour or two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thanks Jason , I guess I will go out and buy some stabilizer, those 3 " pucks will take to long to bring my cya up to where it should be.

I will save those for vacation