Teledyne Laars Lite Pool Heater Problem

cr1973

Jun 15, 2013
Hi All,

first posting for me! Anynway, I bought a home with an inground pool, including an old teledyne laars lite pool heater. The heater has always been touchy, and I only run it when I am at home.

Sometime it will run fine for a few hours before I turn it off, and other times it will run for about 1-2 minutes then start clicking. It sounds like a switch is opening and closing rapidly, thought the unit is still lit and heating. I turn it off right away when I notice that happening.

I know that the pressure switch is touchy, so I bypassed that. But I still have the problem where some switch or valve clicks off and on at times.

Any idea what it could be? The contacts are a little corroded, could it be one of the limit switches is acting up?

This unit has probably seen its better days as it's old. You don't mention which exact model it is but from my experience there is most likely a control board in it that is causing the issue, depending on the model you have. Limit switches usually don't make clicking sounds, they just stop working.

I would consider investing into a new unit and end what could be a mad cycle of replacing parts here and there and end up spending half the amount a new unit would cost you. Purchasing a new unit would also give something more efficient than that old unit.

Well, I tried it again this morning... this time I turned the thermostat all the way to the highest setting. Not the heater seems to work okay, I am guessing the thermostat is touchy?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.