Intermittent, little or no suction on my pool pump help:(

Jun 15, 2013
Hello I have an in ground spa that will not build pressure on the suction side so the jets/returns will not supply water as they should. A little history first - all components are new including the pump and filter cannister. The spa is an in ground concrete spa built in the late 80's. Symptoms - with the spa filled I prime the pump and start it, initially the water comes but stops before the cannister builds any pressure so the returns have little or no water flow. The water on the suction side surges when the pump pulls water and then backs off. After several days trying to diagnose the problem I decided to install a temporary above ground suction line to the spa and when I fired the pump it worked as it should. I thought there may be a leak in the suction line but have not tested that as yet. The suction line is below a concrete deck and naturally runs under the spa. Is there any way of detecting a leak without cutting the deck and is there a solution to repair the line without any major surgery. I have heard of fix a leak but without the pump circulating water that would be difficult. Also I have heard of insertable bladders that are sent down the pipe but with so many elbows is that a practical solution

Any thoughts, recommendations or expertise to share?

Note : all the equipment is new but the lines are old except for the new fittings installed when replacing the pump and cannister. Reminder the spa ran perfect with a temporary suction line installed so all the known culprits are addressed other than the old suction line below deck. This spa has no skimmer just a main drain

Re: Intermittent, little or no suction on my pool pump help:

It sounds like you have a suction side air leak. When you turn on the pump, does the pump strainer basket fill with water or is it sloshing water and air?

Thanks the pump pulls water you can hear the pressure build then the vacuum drops and very little water comes after that. Its not the pump or any if the new fittings as the temp line ran without incident. Unfortunately the Line is uunder concrete. Is there any additive or bladder that u are aware of that works to rid the leak in the pipe? The spa does hold water to a certain level appr. 4" lower than full.

Is the pool water high enough in the skimmer so it isn't sucking air?

I know you think it is the pipe but it almost never is.

You may be referring to a Drain King. You can put it in the pump suction line and try to flush debris backwards out of the main drain but I would remove the main drain cover before attempting this. You can also try this with just a hose and a wet rag.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.