Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covering AG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Covering AG Pool

We have a small 18' x 48" ag vinyl pool. Should we be putting the cover on it every night or is it okay to leave it off. It is usually just me trying to put it on every night and becomes very difficult. If it is okay to leave off, I may start doing that.
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Covering AG Pool

It's certainly ok to leave it off. What kind of cover are we talking about exactly? Winter cover/mesh cover/solar cover? Most who have pools covered in summer except for swim times are trying to cut down down on water and FC loss, and to a lesser degree in summer temps----heat loss depending on location.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in Michigan too and heat loss is a big issue. I hate trying to manhandle the cover by myself but I have three children all under 12 who want/need that water as warm as possible. I have four large, round "hooks" fastened to four consecutive legs of my Intex Ultra Frame, and the original Intex cover is fastened to the top rail with cable ties. I pull the cover off onto the hooks, which hold it while the pool is occupied, and that makes it a bit easier to pull the cover back on.

Someday I'd like a much better solar cover on a reel of some sort. My biggest gripe about the cover is the debris and rain water that collects on top. It's a mess to pull off and often gets filthy water in the pool. Everything is a trade-off it seems
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by CeeElGee
    I'm in Michigan too and heat loss is a big issue. I hate trying to manhandle the cover by myself but I have three children all under 12 who want/need that water as warm as possible. I have four large, round "hooks" fastened to four consecutive legs of my Intex Ultra Frame, and the original Intex cover is fastened to the top rail with cable ties. I pull the cover off onto the hooks, which hold it while the pool is occupied, and that makes it a bit easier to pull the cover back on.

Someday I'd like a much better solar cover on a reel of some sort. My biggest gripe about the cover is the debris and rain water that collects on top. It's a mess to pull off and often gets filthy water in the pool. Everything is a trade-off it seems
    Tether a big beach ball or something inflatable to an empty bleach jug filled with rocks and water right in the center. That will help the cover shed leaves.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!