Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If my pool water smells does that mean someone just peed?

1. Back To Top    #1

If my pool water smells does that mean someone just peed?

My pool water generally has no chlorine smell. When you come out your skin doesnt smell.

I worked late while my wife had people over including some kids. When I got into the water after people had been in the pool for a few hours, I could smell the CC smell. After awhile it went away. Was this smell probably due to kids peeing in the pool?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

2. Back To Top    #2

SW Ohio

Re: If my pool water smells does that mean someone just peed

WOW!!!!!!!!! I have never had this issue.....but the smell was most likely chloramines, did you test your water when you noticed the smell?
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

The smell you are referring to are attributed to higher than normal CC's which are created in the process of sanitizing a pool. Someone peeing in the pool will consume FC and lead to CC's as the organics are sanitized. Regardless of whether someone pee'd in the pool, a higher bather load will always increase the chlorine demand. To mitigate the risk of having FC drop below the recommended range due to high bather load, I always increase the FC dose to the high point of the target range prior to and after a pool party. The night after a pool party, I do an Overnight FC Loss Test.

Even though the smell has dissipated, I would test FC and CC.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

That would be plausible, especially since kids were involved. Ammonia quickly reacts with chlorine, so it's very common to have CC's because of that reaction. If there were a lot of bodies in the pool it could be just from the amount of sweat generated.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit