Need advice about new pump and filter

Jun 15, 2012
I have a 20 x 48 round ultra frame intex pool. I want to replace the one piece skimmer/pump that is original with the pool. Can I buy a new skimmer that does not have the pump attached so that we can purchase a new sand filter/pump? Any ideas?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I'm sorry no one responded to your question yet so I'm welcoming you here to also bump up this thread. It's a busy time of year and no one may have had a definitive answer for you. Your question isn't in my area of expertise, but hopefully someone will be able to answer or point you to another source of info.

I guess I haven't seen any Intex pools that had the skimmer build into the pump. I am assuming that it is like the Summer Escapes pool I have seen that someone else had and they replaced it with a new through the wall skimmer that mounted to the side of the pool like I you are describing with the regular pump/sand filter. Check this link out about half way through the first page you will see what I am talking about if you have something like I picture.
installing-thru-wall-skimmer-in-intex-confused-t49225.html?hilit=wall skimmer

Do you currently have the Intex pump that has an attached filter that uses a paper cartridge? If so, then a great option for an upgrade would be the Intex 2650 pump/sand filter combo. Do an Amazon search and you will see it.

As to the skimmer, many are installing a permanent in-wall type as listed in the link above from edavis. If you are not comfortable cutting a hole in your perfectly good pool, you can use the Intex over-the-wall skimmer that is made for your pool. It works very well, but will be in your way when you swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.