Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice about new pump and filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice about new pump and filter

I have a 20 x 48 round ultra frame intex pool. I want to replace the one piece skimmer/pump that is original with the pool. Can I buy a new skimmer that does not have the pump attached so that we can purchase a new sand filter/pump? Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Need advice about new pump and filter

Welcome to TFP!

I'm sorry no one responded to your question yet so I'm welcoming you here to also bump up this thread. It's a busy time of year and no one may have had a definitive answer for you. Your question isn't in my area of expertise, but hopefully someone will be able to answer or point you to another source of info.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess I haven't seen any Intex pools that had the skimmer build into the pump. I am assuming that it is like the Summer Escapes pool I have seen that someone else had and they replaced it with a new through the wall skimmer that mounted to the side of the pool like I you are describing with the regular pump/sand filter. Check this link out about half way through the first page you will see what I am talking about if you have something like I picture.
    installing-thru-wall-skimmer-in-intex-confused-t49225.html?hilit=wall skimmer
    18' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, Intex Sand filter 2650gph pump with saltwater generator,lady bug automatic vaccum cleaner, Hydropools wide mouth skimmer, all hard plumbed 1.5" PVC

4. Back To Top    #4

S. California

Do you currently have the Intex pump that has an attached filter that uses a paper cartridge? If so, then a great option for an upgrade would be the Intex 2650 pump/sand filter combo. Do an Amazon search and you will see it.

As to the skimmer, many are installing a permanent in-wall type as listed in the link above from edavis. If you are not comfortable cutting a hole in your perfectly good pool, you can use the Intex over-the-wall skimmer that is made for your pool. It works very well, but will be in your way when you swim.
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner