Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner- bought a house that had a swamp for pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner- bought a house that had a swamp for pool

Hello all, I actually do electrical work for new pool installs.... I have really been trying to figure out how to get this mess straight! Started out with 8 trash cans full of leaves & branches, a ton of tad poles & dozen frogs pool. Thanks to this site, my pool is almost ready to swim..... Hopefully I can get the final help to clear the water??? took water from almost black to a cloudy blue.... hoping to get water clear soon? have a taylor test kit #'s
    FC 3
    TC 5+
    cc? (since actual TC unkown (kit tops out at 5)
    PH- 7.2
    TA 60
    Water is cloudy & on blue side any suggetions greatly appreciated & will be executed. Wife & I were blessed with first child on march 23 hope to introduce her to a healthy pool soon...
    30k gallons, Hayward sand filter- (flow rate ?) IG vinyl liner, Hayward 1.5 hp super pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner- bought a house that had a swamp for pool

Welcome to TFP!

What is your CYA level?

Chances are that you aren't using enough chlorine.

Also, how has the filter pressure been behaving?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Jason for welcome & reply! CYA was less than 30 (dot was visable beyond 30.... to start now in around 48. pressure is nuts if brush & debris is stirred up. generally around 20 when running with no problem. recently started to add DE to help
    30k gallons, Hayward sand filter- (flow rate ?) IG vinyl liner, Hayward 1.5 hp super pump

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok went to pool store & received following results:
    TC-4.7
    Fc- 2.3
    Ph-6.5
    Ta- 50
    CH- 50
    Stabilizer-0 (although it was low when started & def. Around 50 per my test?
    They suggested I start working on CH by adding 58lbs of calcium increaser.
    Next alakalinity- then ph & finally superchlorinate. Does this procedure sound reasonable? Purchasing the BBB's as suggested. Now just need to figure out right steps... Thank you so much for all your thoughs & ideas!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by nugget
    Ok went to pool store & received following results:
    TC-4.7
    Fc- 2.3
    Ph-6.5
    Ta- 50
    CH- 50
    Stabilizer-0 (although it was low when started & def. Around 50 per my test?
    They suggested I start working on CH by adding 58lbs of calcium increaser.
    Next alakalinity- then ph & finally superchlorinate. Does this procedure sound reasonable? Purchasing the BBB's as suggested. Now just need to figure out right steps... Thank you so much for all your thoughs & ideas!!!
    Vinyl pool doesn't need Calcium. Look at the money you just saved by not adding it. I hope...

And I'd trust your Taylor kit more than the pool store. Quit stalling and start the shock process.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Amen thank you Richard!! I tried to tell them that as well but value the real information on this site! Dumping 9 gallons of bleach per pool calculator & will check into additional add on to Taylor kit as you referenced. Thank you again for your thoughts!!! Have a great day!

8. Back To Top    #8

To properly shock you need that FAS-DPD test, without it you are guessing. It is easy to overshoot or overshoot and waste time and money...

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

FAS-DPD test kit was ordered over weekend but started Shock Process per request. Used pool calc & dumped bleach as suggested. Can only use strips to verify above 10 until test kit arrives... Water was a cloudy blue, today it turned a greenish brown? I can still see return as before but seems going the wrong way? I did use test strips prior to blind dumping this am & again this eve... Figured better to over shoot rather than wait on test kit? although not sure what happened basically today???? what to do now?