Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner

Hello,

I have read alot of posts before I finally decided to post my results.

I bought the Taylor K-2006C, with all the fancy testing solutions and followed the instructions to the "T" and my results seem some what off

Chlorine 2.2 PPM
    PH 8.2
    Alkalinity 180 ppm
    Calcium Hardness 330 ppm
    CYA 120 - 140 ppm (kinda hard to tell since it wasnt close to the readings on the test)

So after I took my readings down I went to Leslies Pool Supply and got my water tested and these were their results:

Chlorine 3ppm
    Salt 4200
    Calcium Hardness 200
    Cyanuric Acid 60
    Total Alkalinity 130
    PH 8
    Acid Demand 1
    Copper 0
    Iron 0
    Phosphates 400
    Temperature 85

So now Im totally confused between the two, who's readings do I trust? Do I trust mine that was fresh out of the pool? or do I trust Leslie's because the guy looked like a total pro doing the water test and had 15 minute old water?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Thanks
    15,000 gallon pool
    IG Plaster
    DE Jandy Del60
    SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner

Welcome!

Trust yourself. And check out this thread: inconsistency-in-readings-t61728.html

There are instructions for testing CYA when it's off the scale in extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

If you've been following the pool store recommendations, it's almost a certainty that CYA will be too high.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Pool Owner

Thanks Richard!!!

Im honored to have you reply to my post. Well I haven't done anything like add the Pool Perfect Phosfree stuff they asked me to buy, so far I only added Muriatic Acid to bring down the PH levels in the pool. As referred in the inconsistency in readings link you posted. I will take new readings once I get the PH level's down to a norm.
    15,000 gallon pool
    IG Plaster
    DE Jandy Del60
    SWG