Hello from Chicago

Erdo

Jun 12, 2013
Ok new to the forum here and going in to my 3rd season of owning a pool. Please go easy on me as this is my first post. Going to be using the BBB method as I'm worried about my cya level. Ok here goes: I went to my local pool store this past Tuesday and my cya reading was 160, my TC was 10 and my FC was 8.5 so naturally I was told to add BioGuard shock. I've been using the BioGuard three step process of 3" chlorine tabs, shock and their inhibit algaecide but no more will I use these. My TA was 164 and my adjusted TA was 116. My PH was 7.6. I purchased a brand new Taylor K2006 test kit and ran these same tests. With this test kit my cya was well over 100 ( can't get exact number as the small comparator tube only goes to 100. My FC was 15 as I filled tube to 10ml and added powder so it turned pink and then it was a whopping 30 drops to get the water clear. I hope I did the math correct with the test. My CC was 1 so TC should be 16. Is my chlorine level so high because of my high CYA level? My PH was 7.6 with this test kit and my TA was 180-200. Looks like I need to drain water to get my cya down. Any other suggestions? Thanks for such a great site for pool owners and sorry to be so long winded.

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you have been using the Pool Frog you need to have your water tested for metals. Your FC is high because you have been putting it into the pool with powdered shock and tablets. You didn't say how many packets of Bioguard you have added so far. Actually with your CYA so high you don't have enough FC. For a CYA of 160 your normal FC range is 12-19 ppm and your shock level is 35 ppm. You will need to drain and refill about 75% of your pool water to lower the CYA to 40 ppm. Since you have a vinyl pool we do not recommend you drain it all at once, but do a series of two or three partial drain and refill cycles to protect the liner while replacing the water.

When you tested FC how many ml of water from the pool did you use? If you went with the standard Taylor recommendations I think the sample is 25ml which means each drop used in the test is only 0.2ppm FC vs the 10ml sample where each drop is 0.5ml I only mention this since you indicated concern over your math.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Also did anyone explain that you can dilute your pool water sample with tap water 50:50 to double the CYA test range? You dilute before you test and use the test like normal. Then take the number you get and multiply by two.

Also beware of draining too far if you are not sure of the water levels in the ground.

Sent via Tapatalk...