Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First pool, looking for some direction.

1. Back To Top    #1

First pool, looking for some direction.

Ok, so the wife talked me into a pool. Bought an Ag pool and the sales man talked me into a simple salt system. Being new to the pool world I listened to everything he told me and took the bait. First off the simple salt system, did I get screwed over? I got my first couple water test done by the pool guy and seems he was making a lot of money off me, so I went to the web and found this website. I got my Taylor k-2006 in yesterday and the first teat results are in.

TA=150
    FC= 1.6
    CC= 1
    Ph= 7.8
    CH= 140

I put 3lb of stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer last night. When should I test CYA?
    Also added 80oz of 8.25% bleach last night.
    Guess I need to know what direction to take from here.
    24k Ag pool, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First pool, looking for some direction.

Wait about a week to test CYA once it is gone from the sock. Give the sock a couple of good squeezes a few times a day and it will speed of the dissolving process.

The 1 CC means you need to complete the shock process. (You can read more about shocking your pool here. ) With the 3 lbs of stabilizer your shock level is 11ppm. You need to add enough liquid chlorine to bring the pool to 11ppm and keep it there as often as you can until you pass overnight test Use Pool calculator to help determine how much chlorine to add.

I googled simple salt system and got several responses. Is this what you have? If so do not use it. Adding copper to the water will eventually cause surface stains and turn light colored hair green.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ill get on the shock tonight.
    That is the system I have, if I do decide not to use it what about the salt I have added to the pool? Also the copper range for the system is .3-.5, not sure if that makes a difference in the hair and stain problem.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

On the plus side, should you ever decide to get a conventional saltwater generator, you probably already have the plumbing ports you'll need!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

You didn't mention the results of your CYA test. The chemicals that the "Simple SWCG" Co. are having you add are doing the bulk of the work and likely contain stabilizer. Not to mention it could also have been in the chems used for the pool startup procedure by your builder.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

I didn't mention the CYA because I didn't test for it since I just added the stabilizer and wasnt sure how long to wait to test for it. The pool guy's last test for me showed 19ppm.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Burbs
    I didn't mention the CYA because I didn't test for it since I just added the stabilizer and wasnt sure how long to wait to test for it. The pool guy's last test for me showed 19ppm.
    How much did you add? I presume he used a computer based system to test it?
    If so, they're hit and miss on accuracy.
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

8. Back To Top    #8

I added 3lb in a sock and put it in the skimmer. I used the pool calculater and it said add 4lb. 3lb was all the sock would hold.

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh, my bad. You did mention 3lb in your 1st post. That'll bring you to about 35ppm CYA, leave it at that, don't forget to squeeze the sock liberally. Wait about a week and test for cya using the test with the cloudy water in the test tube. For now, start the shock process with the assumption of 40 cya on the chart in pool school. Ignore the salt water table, doesn't apply.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Welcome!

On the plus side, should you ever decide to get a conventional saltwater generator, you probably already have the plumbing ports you'll need!
    Could you recommend a system or brand to look at?