Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: literally a no maintenance pool

1. Back To Top    #1

literally a no maintenance pool

Even tho my local pool place told me I shouldn't use a swg in my above ground pool, I started using the cheaper versions a few years ago. They worked great, but the 1st one only lasted a year and the transformer melted and the 2nd one was working okay, tho I had only used it for less than a year when I needed a new liner and I went ahead and bought the Hayward Goldline Aquatrol.
    Absolutely the best thing I have ever bought for the pool.
    The hayward has a timer built into the control box and my swimming pool is literally maintenance free now - a 24" round 54" deep pool.

For cleaning, I have a polaris 65 that I just leave connected all of the time and I do absolutely nothing to my pool. The only thing I have done this year is add salt because I inadvertently drained out about half the water in early spring.

I actually don't really get out there every day, but my wife and grandkids are always out there, but there is no need as there is never anything for me to do except jump in.

I guess I ought to clean my filter, a hayward cartridge filter because I have not cleaned it off since i opened the pool, but the water is still flowing great (the pressure gauge needs replaced).

When I used chlorine, if I missed a day or 2 I would spend a whole lot of time trying to get things back on track, normally using the BBB method.
    Since using the swg - the ph and everything has always stayed pretty much spot on, don;t know why but I love it.

The polaris has even been working right and not just going in circles and it is on it's 2nd year. Seems I used to always have to be messing with it. I know that has nothing to do with the swg, but it sure makes my life easy.

There really are trouble free pools and I am here to tell you if you don;t like messing with your pool all of the time, get yourself a decent swg (I love the hayward), kick back and enjoy the pool instead of always having to be messing with trying to get everything right.

I was told it would rust my pool - I believe this is the 5th year i have used salt and have had zero problems. My pool is actually about 16 years old now and I did have some rust on the metal tops, but when i replaced my liner I used a wire wheel and knocked off all the rust and repainted them. I was going to use auto paint but got lazy and just used brush on Rustoleum and it actually came out looking great, almost as good as new.
    I am thinking they didn't want me to switch because they knew I wouldn;t be buying any chemicals from them (I didn;t anyway as I went bbb).

All I know is it is perfect if u are like me and don;t like messing with the pool but instead just like to use it.....
    love it

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: literally a no maintenance pool

For anyone reading this ... The likelihood of a fully hands off pool is very low and we would never recommend what was described. That is unless it was not stated that the chemistry is actually tested often and it just so happens to never need any attention.

I would love to see a full set of test results to see how you have everything set so it is hands off. Also a set of tests on the tap water used to top off would be great. Maybe you have indeed found the perfect balance.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

our water comes from a water company, but they do get it from a spring - it is very good water, never tested it. Here is what I have done this year - I removed my cover around the end of March. I cussed it out the entire time thinking there has to be a better way because a whole bunch of gunk from the top of the cover fell in the pool. I will be researching a better way to do my top. While pumping the water off the top of the cover, using a bilge pump with a float switch, thinking it would shut itself off when the water was gone from the top. , Some how water was coming thru the top and I came out the next day and drained over half of my pool - so I had to add the water back and I did have to put in more salt - if I am not mistaken I believe I put in 4 bags, not sure, may have been 6. I remember I added what I thought was enough and the next day when I checked it, it was still low. The hayward Aquatrol has a built in meter that tells you the ppm and it was only at around 2400 and I like it at 2800 to start the season.
    I did remove the aquatrol for the winter (return line fitting) so I did have to hook it back up. I needed a new o-ring so I ran to my local hardware store and bought one for like 15 cents....
    so all I added at this point was between 4-6 bags of salt and a 15 cent o-ring.

I also connected a "solar heater" I made out of the black pipe - 4 100' rolls mounted on plywood etc....so I had to buy a few new fittings to run it.

After I was sure the salt level was stable, I then checked my chemical levels, tho I do only use those strips - I do not take it anywhere to have it checked.

my ph was correct, alkalinity correct etc, the only thing that was low was the stabilizer so I did add stabilizer.

That is it....I have done nothing to my pool since. I check it with the strips maybe once a week and everything is always good. When I 1st opened the pool I turned on the "super chlorine" for about a week as I knew no one would be swimming for a while. I have since turned the levels down to a tad over 50%.
    I run a polaris 65 all of the time except when the grandkids are in the pool.
    I know it is not good for the motor, but I do cycle the motor on thru out the day - I never run it at night. Off the top of my head it comes on around 7:00am, runs for a couple hours then shuts off. Comes on again about every couple of hours, runs for about 2 hours...etc.....supposedly bad for the motor as starting is the hardest on them, but the motor is not covered and it does get really hot with the sun beating down on it, and I am of the opinion that heat is probably worse then starting...I can always replace a capacitor if need be. I am on the 2nd year doing this and knock on wood, so far so good. The motor runs for about 8 -9 hours a day....
    One thing - there is normally only my 2 grandkids and my wife and I using the pool, so it does not get heavy use - tho my wife insists on washing her hair in the pool, plus uses conditioner.....I hate that...

I have added nothing except what i have mentioned. I check the water with strips every week or so and everything is always correct. My pool water is crystal clear.

It is nothing I have done or am doing. It is the swg. When i had the cheaper ones it was pretty much the same, the biggest difference is I had to manually check the salt levels and my motor was not on a timer so it normally ran all day and i shut it off at night. I do remeber having to correct the ph and alkalinity when i installed my new liner - using borax etc. i would have thought I would need to do it again since I drained about half my pool, but everything checked out fine.
    I am not taking credit for anything - I have done nothing obviously. I am just saying since i have switched to a swg, taking care of my pool could not be any easier.........is far and away the #1 thing I have ever added to my pool and would never dream of not having one.
    When I used chlorine, I was Always messing with the pool....now, I do nothing but enjoy it...I am going to clean that filter today

4. Back To Top    #4

oh, I forgot - and what would you not recommend ? I guess I should hope I need to start correcting ph etc so then I can have a "normal" pool. My water is crystal clear and all of the levels are okay - the only thing I recommended is a swg as it has made my life easier than I ever thought possible when it comes to pool maintenance........so I am not sure what you are NOT recommending

5. Back To Top    #5

We recommend weekly testing. If you don't routinely test with a high quality test kit (strips are not accurate), then you really have no earthly idea what's going on in your water.

I'm glad that you think you are going trouble free without lifting a finger. Just remember that we are here to help you when you start having problems.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would usually tweak something here and there, over the entire season, but my pool is doing pretty well now. I have an swg with an acid feeder, so that's taken care of. It is also an above ground pool. It's my first pool and experience with all this equipment, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have to add stabilizer at the beginning of the season after filling the pool. Maybe some borates up to snuff and level off everything, but then it's smooth sailing after that. "It runs itself" lol. I do test pretty much everyday. I'm just curious like that, but it still doesn't need it.

I also have a cartridge filter and clean it once at the end of the season, or possibly twice at midway through. Not too bad. Mt 1.5hp pump runs on low speed 24/7 for the whole season. 300+ watts of electricity, not too bad either. I don't like starting and stopping with the possibility of losing prime, etc.., so I just leave it on.

My pool sparkles with the borates and it's always very clean because I put in the pool rover when needed. I've never, not once used the pool vacuum in 3+ years.

Bottom line for me, it does get very easy with the swg/acid tank, but personally, I would check levels at least every 2 or 3 days. (I check everyday)
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Since you are only using test strips (which we on the forum gave found to not be worth the paper they are on), then who knows how good the water really is.

I was hoping to see actual numbers. A SWG will make the pH rise. Thus I wanted to see what all the parameters were that might have stabilized the pH. Likely it is actually high and you may start developing calcium scaling, but without numbers, no point in speculating. Good luck in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

My SWG pool requires very little maintenance but I do check it every day. With that said, I can easily leave my pool for a week with no problem. It is the best solution I have found for truly TFP.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

9. Back To Top    #9

There are a number of things that effect pool chemistry, lets just take pH for one parameter, this may be effected by the pH of your fill water source, amount of aeration in the water (fountains, water falls, kids splashing), wind blown dust in your region may be acid or basic, etc. Now maybe you are very lucky and these factors all balance out all the time for you, but even if they do you should not expect it to be the same for everyone else. Many people have to constantly add acid to their pools to lower pH to keep the pH in an acceptable range, and on the other extreme you find people always having to raise pH to keep it in range. Sure there are those that tend to be luck and rarely have to touch pH (I thankfully am one of those), but that does not mean that I should tell everyone else that they never need to invest in chemicals to adjust their pH.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

OP monitors water clarity daily, doesn't have old plaster or equipment, doesn't seem to have much dust or debris, keeps chlorine level (swg), runs the filter enough, and is lucky enough that pH isn't drifting. He tests weekly and clearly understands his equipment. Hardly "maintenance-free" (more than many TFPers I suspect), but low maintenance. Yes, titration is more accurate and precise than strips, but I've found that the strips are mostly accurate. Better testing is merited only when a result is surprising or when higher precision is needed. Of course not everyone will have as good of setup, and nobody should expect zero maintenance, and if something changes OP may need to change his technique. But it's working, theory matches practice, hooray!

Fwiw, a 24" round 54" deep pool sounds more like a barrel. Perhaps that's the source of contention here
    22,000 gallon in-ground pool. Was hayward Pro-Grid DE filter / Hayward RS 750 pump / Aquabot turbo / Solar pool cover. Remodel under progress to install safety cover. Will install new equipment, solar thermal, etc.

11. Back To Top    #11

No test results that are accurate have been posted.

What is the PH level?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing