Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: no pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

no pressure

hello, this is my first post here, have tried reading thru and trying different solutions but none have worked so far. I hope I have the right forum for this topic.

I cannot get my system to prime or build pressure, cannot get water to flow. Ive had three different pool guys come out and say the filter is fine the multiport switch is fine and there must be something in the skimmer line.

I have an old Anthony Apollo DE filter with new screens, a new Hayward 2HP pump.

So I put in a bypass (three way valve) between the skimmer and the pump. hooked up a vacuum hose and I cant pull water at all. Same as the skimmer, but when I switched back to the skimmer I got some water flow for about ten minutes, I can hear and feel the filter filling up and the relief valve starts to let out air, then it stops completely, no water out of the relief, no water flowing, nothing.

so it seems to me it isn't the skimmer line and I got the same result with my old pump too, so it isn't the pumps. I don't see any leaks or hear any air leaking. I am very frustrated. I don't mind paying a guy to fix it if I can find someone who can actually determine the issue. I also don't mind doing the work myself.

does anyone have any ideas I can follow up on? some tests to run maybe?

Thanks in advance
    E2325 - Hayward Super Pump, Anthony Apollo VA-52 DE Filter, Anthony Apollo Skimmer, Praher SM-10-AO multiport valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: no pressure

Welcome to tfp, westtex

Is your pump basket filling up with water?

If you put the multiport on bypass (or recirc) do you get flow?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the reply

I do get water in the basket for a little while using the skimmer line then nothing it just stops, using the bypass line I get no water flow no water in basket at all. Using reciprocate I get no flow. however the last two pool guys got the waste to pump water out at a really low pressure. I couldn't get it to do that even.
    E2325 - Hayward Super Pump, Anthony Apollo VA-52 DE Filter, Anthony Apollo Skimmer, Praher SM-10-AO multiport valve

4. Back To Top    #4

followup, I took apart the multiport valve and as soon as I opened it up water started pulling in from the skimmer, so maybe its the spider gasket?

5. Back To Top    #5

well, still no luck, put a new spider gasket, oiled the handle still seems like its not sealing well , but no suction no water flowing. cant get it to prime. very frustrating

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by westtex
    well, still no luck, put a new spider gasket, oiled the handle still seems like its not sealing well , but no suction no water flowing. cant get it to prime. very frustrating
    If the valve leaks, you'll suck air, not water. Or you might have debris lodged in an elbow in the line.

I'm assuming you've read up on the drain king/ hose & rag backflush the pipe scenartio?

What about coating the suspect valve with shaving cream? If it starts sucking the foam in, you've found the leak.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!