Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Hi everyone. I am new but have been reading this site feverishly for about a week (lucky internet stumble). So let me give a little background. I have an Intex 14 x 48 that we bought last summer. I had spent about a week leveling the ground and even though it wasn't perfect it wasn't horrible either.

All was good with the exception that every time it would rain/storm here (Virginia) I would lose the pump. My assumption is the plug just got hammered with them. I went through 3 of the 1,000gph pumps that came with the pool. Then we had Hurricane Sandy :| which lost my cover. By the time the weather was changing, I was going to take the pool down and store it. I couldn't get the legs off so we left it drained with that small amount at the bottom. Needless to say.. it isn't pretty and I am not even sure it is salvageable at this point.

I get so frustrated trying to have the pool (my family really loves water including myself) and we used it every day. I have many issues I am dealing with at once and some I can't do anything about.

1. The way my house sits - it gets very little sunlight.
2. We have a massive amount of trees on our property (.5 acre) and again interferes with sunlight.
3. The spot we had the pool was the only area to receive a decent sun.
4. The most sunlight any spot is receives lasts approximately 3 hours and is strongest from 2-5pm.

Given this - we deal with a lot of leaves, debris and bugs. I am trying really hard but I think I blew it. I just had a 2650 sand filter pump delivered today.

I am just really discouraged and not sure what I am supposed to do. I took it down and drained it today because with all the rain we have had my ground became really soft (problem #457) and the pool became really unlevel. My goal was to get it down and relevel the ground. Well of course we just had the storm that passed through the east yesterday and adding the draining of the pool now the ground is swamp land lol

Since it gets minimal sun, the ground never really gets "hard". Obviously tree removal is not the budget at the moment (but do NOT think that is on my list of things to do lol). Once I drained it I noticed spots all over it in addition to the sludge at the bottom. I am up for any suggestions. I just really want to get this back up and running :(

I have pics and you can see them all http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/clambert_1273/library/Pool Redo?sort=3&page=1

I appreciate any information you can provide.

I think I would start by setting it back up, then with a wet/dry vacuum get all the solid stuff out and as much muck as possible. On with the rubber boots, put an inch of water in it alond with as much bleach as you can stand. Scrub brush on a stick and get to it.

Empty that and rinse, and see where you stand.

Or, Big Lots has Intex and Polygroup pools of the same general size under $300.

Is there not a more level spot behind the house?

leveling doesn't bother me... it is more shaded behind the house. My entire back yard is like one big shade :( That area is the only sunlight exposure - if I would have realized that when looking at this house I wouldn't have bought it because it causes other issues like the green algae on the house because it never gets sun to dry.

don't mind scrubbing at all lol The debris is all out since we completely dumped it and flipped it over (whew). I think right now I want to figure out how much bleach to get and try to get it set back up the best I can.

I would agree but there is no way to do it ourselves. These are over 40ft trees and in my "usuable" part of the yard, there are 13 of them. About .25 of the acreage is nothing but wooded area *sigh*

It would cost around 10,000 to remove these trees and just isn't possible. We had more sunlight back here last year but I am guessing the canopies grew just enough on them to almost completely shade the yard.

I have a small branch chainsaw type and thought about cutting low laying branches but I don't think I cloud physically handle it.

I guess I just have to do what I can and put it back where it was. I just hope it is salvageable at this point.

It looks like there are less trees and more sun closer to the screened porch in the picture of the house showing where the pool is. Can you move the pool? I had a similar intex pool with a similar issue. What I did was get as much of the water and leaves out out as I could, then I let everything dry out. Then I went back in and got all the big stuff out. Then I went in with a scrub brush and mostly water and scrubbed everything. Then I rinsed everything, drained it as well as I could and then let it dry again.

Wow, Your pool looks a mess! You could try pressure washing it. With a gas pressure washer, the electric ones are useless. Use common sense as you could damage the liner. I would probably heave the pool in the garbage if it's as bad as it looks. You don't want to waste a bunch of time and money on a pool that's half in the bag before you start. See if you can locate a used one in excellent condition? You have a great pump (2650), now find the very best location and make that the pools new home. Make sure it's level! Last year I thought ours was level, it was off by nearly 5" on a 16 foot ultra frame. My wife told me I was too picky about making it level, "it's good enough..fill the thing!" We salvaged the season without draining, but it wasn't great. This year I rented a site laser and its perfectly level. I didn't use the tarp. I went with 8 sheets of 4x8 foot Styrofoam 1/2 inch thick and placed the pool on that. The styro helps keep the pool from cooling down from it sitting on the ground, plus it's a good cushion on the feet. I cut the excess Styrofoam along the bottom edge of the pool and put bark mulch around the edge and then a mini sundeck up close to it. It was fun to put together.

Start again and set yourself up to succeed this time! :wink:

Mine looked similar to that not as bad though. I soaked it in some strong bleach water for a week, changing the water once and it helped a bunch. then with the scrub brush like mentioned above. I did consider the pressure washer, but chickened out cause one slip and it'd be done. I mean it'll peel paint off the wifes car :hammer:.

Thought I would provide a few updates since I posted last :) I will do these in multiple posts - hopefully this might help others that have the same shade/algae/unlevel problem that I did.

This weekend we got to work. I borrowed a 20' ladder from a friend and trimmed every tree in the immediate yard - we spent all day cutting branches. This is how much we cut....

While we couldn't reach super high, this did open the lower canopy enough on the tree to allow the spot where the pool is to be in the sun (one part of the pool or another) from 10am to around 4pm. This was my step 1 lol Then we had to carry all the branches/limbs out to the front of the house for bulk pickup which was more of a chore than actually cutting them. This was all day Saturday.

Sunday:

I decided to make a new area for the pool a little bit down from where the original was so I was using half of the already leveled ground. Once we got the tree limbs cleared... I had the pile of old sand to deal with. I finally got that removed out of the way and the old tarp. (my cockerspaniel Phoebe decided to supervise)

Once that was clear I took rebar and drove it into the ground. My husband drilled a hole in a 2x4 and I taped the only level I had to it. I began first by raking the old area to give myself leeway since I knew the other part was lower. (now my retriever Maxine decided this was too much fun and was chasing the rake)

I began digging the other side to get the grass and other indentations taken care of. I started screeding with the board and moving dirt as needed.

After about 6 hours of doing this non stop - I finally got it pretty well cleared and almost completely level. But after the issue from last year, I am not satisfied and will continue to work on it after work this week.

I finally stopped - very tired and sore from the weekend projects :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So Monday - I was going to put the top of the frame together to measure out for pavers. I have a couple of questions and haven't put it together yet... When I saw the rust I stopped.

All of my T's look like this. Luckily they are not rusted all the way through. I found this stuff in my shed. Do you think it would be ok to use this and repaint over it (after sanding)?

And one more question: I have no problem buying pavers; however, I found these out in our yard by the shed that was left here from the previous owners and I was just curious if these would alright since they are really thick.

Thanks for such a wonderful site and all the help. Oh and it is forecasted for thunderstorms tomorrow and Wednesday so it looks like I am on hold until Thursday :)

Thanks... I am really trying lol We are prepared if we have to purchase a new pool as well. The dirty pool has dried out now and all debris out so at least when I set it back up it is just cleaning the walls and bottom :) I wish it wouldn't rain the next 2 days so I could get more done...

Lot of work! Kudos!

As far as the rust goes, that product should do fine after you sand away the outer {loose} rust. It wont last forever, but neither will the pool.

I think your pavers may be a bit tall...

I planned on burying them level with the ground... that will be my next set of questions for you guys - when I get ready for all that stuff. I already have ordered a gorilla pad for underneath.. and I put weedkiller down twice lol oh and bug spray.. I swear Virginia is like spider haven..

My kids of course are "mom when is it going to be ready"... then I find out - have to have a permit from the city - joy

ob1quixote said:
Permit for a temporary pool?

right!! she said "if it is over 2ft deep you need a permit" my jaw dropped... $56.10 they want PLUS all the specifics of the pool (from the box) AND a survey plat of my land :| She said "that will be in your closing papers" ... yeah well it isn't and all I have is a page that says "legal description" telling me where in the deed book it is :hammer:

Lol I wish we still did or at least a city with common sense! The bad part is they can do whatever they want. We have no county and they city is its own business (seriously).

I was half tempted to do it without because I am sure people rarely get this permit but I know the minute I don't get it my two nosy neighbors across the street will say/do something and then I will have code enforcement up my behind.

At least I don't have an HOA to contend with right lol

What to do...... Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.