Intex vs "true" AGP - PLEASE HELP!!

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
So as I look at the unpacked 26' Intex sitting in my garage, I am 2nd guessing my decision ... AGAIN!!!!

My son just turned 15 and will be entering high school in the fall. My biggest reason for installing a pool is to have a "gathering" place for both adults and kids. Kids being my son, my sister's 5 children (ages 17 - 7), my son's friends, and 4 other neighborhood kids (ages 9 - 16).

Cost is a factor, hence the Intex purchase. However, since the purchase, I've reduced the overall cost of installing a true AGP from $1550 to $925 (a $625 savings). I had also planned to upgrade the Intex filter & pump which would cost about $450. So in closing the cost gap ....

What can I reasonably expect to pay for a good 27' x 52" AGP (no deep end) with liner, filter, pump, skimmer, and steps ? I don't want "most expensive" but I also don't want "cheap" that will cause issues in the next 3-5 years.

I've read on the site about pumps being undersized and filters being oversized (or maybe I have this backwards)...... my point is I have no idea where to begin in putting a pool package together but I have read enough on this great forum to know that if I leave that step up to the vendor, I'm not going to really get what I need ....

Any help is clearing my cloudy head is greatly appreciated!!
Karen

karenkolby said:
What can I reasonably expect to pay for a good 27' x 52" AGP (no deep end) with liner, filter, pump, skimmer, and steps ? I don't want "most expensive" but I also don't want "cheap" that will cause issues in the next 3-5 years.
Middle grade 27' pool, liner, cove, and "gorilla pad" type bottom barrier will run ~ $2200 online for the parts.

karenkolby said:
I've read on the site about pumps being undersized and filters being oversized (or maybe I have this backwards).
You have it backwards...smaller pumps (preferably 2-speed) and larger filter (to an extent) is what you want. For a pool the size above, you are talking about $570 for a filter and 2-speed pump that would be a good fit your pool.

If you want wedding cake type steps they usually run around $500 new.

Add on a ~$400 or so for misc. stuff like plumbing and sand.

Total: ~ $3700 not including install.

An alternative to all of this is to look on craigslist and see what is available. I was able to get mine for free (including functional equipment)...but I did all of the work of removing and installing. I would guess you could pay to have someone remove in addition to installing it...but it might start adding up.

I got a freebie off craig's list, just had to take it down. I did have to buy a new liner which I knew from here. I haven't added it all up but with some equipment rental, various bits and pieces, gas to go get it, I think I have about $1000 into it. I got everything pool related from the previous owners. I don't know how many manhours I've put into but a lot. I also have about a 3' drop from one side of the pool to the other I had to level. Rough level was done by friend with a backhoe for $100. I had to look for about 2 months on craig's list towards the end of the season before I got one.

Linen beat me to it :) but he was my inspiration for doing it this way.

To me there's value in being able to take mine down in sept. I don't want anything permanent in my yard. I have an 18 foot summer escapes & want the 18x32 intex rectangle next year. I could pay for a real abg but would regret it for many reasons other than money 8 months of the year we're not using it. If I had a lots bigger yard I may think differently.

THANK YOU for the replies and suggestions! I have been looking at craigslist but there haven't been a lot of options ... yet. Given the approx overall cost diff of $2500 for a new AGP I'm gonna stick with the Intex for now .... but also keep my eyes on craiglist b/c I very well may find one for next year :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.