Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex vs "true" AGP - PLEASE HELP!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex vs "true" AGP - PLEASE HELP!!

So as I look at the unpacked 26' Intex sitting in my garage, I am 2nd guessing my decision ... AGAIN!!!!

My son just turned 15 and will be entering high school in the fall. My biggest reason for installing a pool is to have a "gathering" place for both adults and kids. Kids being my son, my sister's 5 children (ages 17 - 7), my son's friends, and 4 other neighborhood kids (ages 9 - 16).

Cost is a factor, hence the Intex purchase. However, since the purchase, I've reduced the overall cost of installing a true AGP from $1550 to $925 (a $625 savings). I had also planned to upgrade the Intex filter & pump which would cost about $450. So in closing the cost gap ....

What can I reasonably expect to pay for a good 27' x 52" AGP (no deep end) with liner, filter, pump, skimmer, and steps ? I don't want "most expensive" but I also don't want "cheap" that will cause issues in the next 3-5 years.

I've read on the site about pumps being undersized and filters being oversized (or maybe I have this backwards)...... my point is I have no idea where to begin in putting a pool package together but I have read enough on this great forum to know that if I leave that step up to the vendor, I'm not going to really get what I need ....

Any help is clearing my cloudy head is greatly appreciated!!
    Karen
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex vs "true" AGP - PLEASE HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by karenkolby
    What can I reasonably expect to pay for a good 27' x 52" AGP (no deep end) with liner, filter, pump, skimmer, and steps ? I don't want "most expensive" but I also don't want "cheap" that will cause issues in the next 3-5 years.
    Middle grade 27' pool, liner, cove, and "gorilla pad" type bottom barrier will run ~ $2200 online for the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by karenkolby
    I've read on the site about pumps being undersized and filters being oversized (or maybe I have this backwards).
    You have it backwards...smaller pumps (preferably 2-speed) and larger filter (to an extent) is what you want. For a pool the size above, you are talking about $570 for a filter and 2-speed pump that would be a good fit your pool.

If you want wedding cake type steps they usually run around $500 new.

Add on a ~$400 or so for misc. stuff like plumbing and sand.

Total: ~ $3700 not including install.

An alternative to all of this is to look on craigslist and see what is available. I was able to get mine for free (including functional equipment)...but I did all of the work of removing and installing. I would guess you could pay to have someone remove in addition to installing it...but it might start adding up.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I got a freebie off craig's list, just had to take it down. I did have to buy a new liner which I knew from here. I haven't added it all up but with some equipment rental, various bits and pieces, gas to go get it, I think I have about $1000 into it. I got everything pool related from the previous owners. I don't know how many manhours I've put into but a lot. I also have about a 3' drop from one side of the pool to the other I had to level. Rough level was done by friend with a backhoe for $100. I had to look for about 2 months on craig's list towards the end of the season before I got one.

Linen beat me to it but he was my inspiration for doing it this way.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

To me there's value in being able to take mine down in sept. I don't want anything permanent in my yard. I have an 18 foot summer escapes & want the 18x32 intex rectangle next year. I could pay for a real abg but would regret it for many reasons other than money 8 months of the year we're not using it. If I had a lots bigger yard I may think differently.
    ------------------------------------
    18' Summer escapes with original skimmer + intex pump + intex sand filter w/ Zeolite, Intex SWG. 1x ecosaver 50sqft solar panel with dedicated pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

THANK YOU for the replies and suggestions! I have been looking at craigslist but there haven't been a lot of options ... yet. Given the approx overall cost diff of $2500 for a new AGP I'm gonna stick with the Intex for now .... but also keep my eyes on craiglist b/c I very well may find one for next year
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC