Black algae that won't come off

Jun 14, 2013
Hello, I have a 16'X48' Intex Ultraframe Vinyl Pool and I drained it due to a horrifying algae problem. Once it drained, I realized there was tons of mustard and black algae on the bottom floor of the pool. Me and another family relative tried to scrub it off but it would not come off. So we got some 2 year old algae guard 3x concentrate from HTH from my garage (non copper formula) and added about an ounce to the little water that was in the pool (the water that was below the drain plug). We scrubbed with a pool brush from the outside of the pool, refilled it a little so that it was level with the drain plug, drained it with a pump to where there was a tiny bit of water left on the bottom and did this over and over about 5 times. After searching about algaecide for a while, I realized that you shouldn't do that and add algaecide to a little water. I was just sick of the mustard and black algae. :hammer: My question is, is the algaecide diluted enough and is it harmful to me and my relative? We never went in the water or even got the water on us. We were going to drain the rest of the water with a shopvac because there is very little water in there left. Is it safe to do so? The water is perfectly clear with no foam but it bubbles a tiny bit when you move the brush through the water but its only like 5-6 bubbles. Should I be concerned?

chrisrocks17 said:
The MSDS for it does not look too bad when it comes to toxicity so I should not be concerned by it. Should I pour a bit of liquid chlorine into the bit of pool water to make it safer?
I wouldn't. You might generate a cloud of chlorine gas, like the old lady who used comet cleanser and bleach to scrub her shower in the apocryphal story.

Vacuum up what you can and dump it on the weed patch or flush it down the toilet (long as you aren't on a septic tank) then fill it up to dilute it and treat it like normal.

Richard320 said:
chrisrocks17 said:
The MSDS for it does not look too bad when it comes to toxicity so I should not be concerned by it. Should I pour a bit of liquid chlorine into the bit of pool water to make it safer?
I wouldn't. You might generate a cloud of chlorine gas, like the old lady who used comet cleanser and bleach to scrub her shower in the apocryphal story.

Vacuum up what you can and dump it on the weed patch or flush it down the toilet (long as you aren't on a septic tank) then fill it up to dilute it and treat it like normal.

Couldn't I just suck up the rest of the water since there is like maybe 40 gallons more in the pool? Then I wouldn't have to worry about diluting anything.

Richard320 said:
That's what I meant. But there will still be some stuck to the pool. So vacuum up what you can.

[center:3ls5cpzr][youtube:3ls5cpzr]V2f-MZ2HRHQ[/youtube:3ls5cpzr][/center:3ls5cpzr]

Haha thanks for the help! I thought you meant suck up the algae and dilute the algaecide in the water by filling up the pool. I didn't know that you mean't suck up the rest of the water and the algae and just fill it up. Thanks for the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.