Geese cause algae now getting worst

Masspools

In The Industry
Jan 22, 2013
Cambridge Massachusetts
Hi All

I have a 29,000 gallon commercial pool. It has a yellow stain in the middle from algae. It was originally green, added algaecide and now it's yellow. I added Jack's yellow stuff then shock the pool. The water turned yellow and spread to the whole pool. The algae was from geese droppings. Why did this happen and how would I fix it?
Thank you
James

Well, the algae was not from geese, it was from inadequate chlorine. Can you post some current test results? Even if your chlorine is good now, it wasn't or the geese could never have affected it.

I have perfect test results across the board.
PH 7.4
Alk 110
Cyn 100
Chlorine, a little because of the shock.

What your saying is true the chlorine was low at one time. But with some brushing and shocking, the yellow is still there. The yellow looks more like mustard algae or a stain. But I can't figure it out. I shocked it and added jacks yellow stuff and the water turned a yellow tint. Again I have balanced water. Any ideas?

Masspools said:
I have perfect test results across the board.
PH 7.4
Alk 110
Cyn 100
Chlorine, a little because of the shock.

What your saying is true the chlorine was low at one time. But with some brushing and shocking, the yellow is still there. The yellow looks more like mustard algae or a stain. But I can't figure it out. I shocked it and added jacks yellow stuff and the water turned a yellow tint. Again I have balanced water. Any ideas?
What are FC and CC?

How did you test CYA at 100? Most CYA test only test up to about 90 with some accuracy. When it gets to 100, it reads anything over 100 as 100 :shock: So, you need to do the dilution CYA test and see which end of the 100 it is on. Instructions in Pool School under Extended Test Kit DIrections.

Masspools said:
I should t have said 100 it's between 30 - 50. I'm more concerned about the algae/stain on the bottom. He chemistry is fine. I'm looking for ideas of what people experiences have been running into yellow stains and yellow water.

If you just want a quick fix you are likely in the wrong place. If you are willing to try new methods and learn I am sure we can help.

Precise complete test results are needed, and test strips won't provide the accuracy, or precision needed.

Stains like you describe can be organic or mineral based. One way to test is to hold a trichlor puck on a stained area, if it goes away, then the stain is likely organic. If that is the case you simply need to follow the shock process in pool school. Please do not mistake this for the standard toss as bag o' shock in the pool. This is s process rather than an event.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.