Digital pool tester

Jun 14, 2013
Hello Thank goodness i found this place i have been reading thru this and have found some very interesting information but i was wondering does anyone out there use a digital tester and if so what do you recomend.???? being color blind i can't really use the test strips accurately.... also I just bought a new Intex sf15110 sand filter...... and i am having a hard time finding #20 sand for it is there any other sand i can use your helpwould be greatly appreciated

For a sand filter you need to use #20 silica sand. Sometimes it is labeled pool filter sand. Most pool stores will have it, and some big box hardware stores in areas with lots of swimming pools.

None of the digital testers under about $700 are as good as the drop tests. And even the $1000 digital testers have both advantages and disadvantages vs the drop tests. There are some meters that only read PH which are around $100 and are alright, but they need to be calibrated regularly.

dinom said:
What about the LaMotte Color Q? That one seems to get pretty good reviews.

There are a couple for sale by members due to realizing inconsistent results compared to the drop based kits ... so that says something.

How would you know if the numbers it spits out are even close to correct without verification and calibration?

The ColorQ is the best of the affordable digital testers, but it has enough quirks that we don't recommend it. For example it can't measure anything at all when FC levels are above 10. The results can be wildly wrong if CH is very very high. The precision on the CYA test is much worse than the CYA test that comes with the liquid drops tests. And so on. If you understand it's limitations and use another test kit when you have reason to believe it will have a problem it can be useful, but in practice that means that pros are the only ones when might want to use it, since you have to have a non-digital kit anyway and pros are the only ones likely to pay enough attention to the limitations to not get fooled by incorrect results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.