Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Done with green now a new question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Done with green now a new question.

So I followed all advice and now have a beautiful pool. But still a bit of confusion. I tested 15 FC this morning passing the overnight test. 7 hours later I had dropped to 10 FC. If I lose chlorine that fast how will I ever keep up when I am within normal range? If I keep it at 5 FC I will lose it all while I am at work. I guess I don't get it.
    AGP: 24' x 52" cartridge filter: 13,500 gallons. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Done with green now a new question.

You lose a percentage, not a fixed amount. So you lose more PPM at higher FC. In your case about 1/3. If you start the day at 9, you will likely find 6 when you check again 7 hours later.

What's the CYA level? Did you raise it after the shock process?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not raised it. I only passed my overnight test last night. My CYA is 30 should I raise that? And how high should I raise it? I need to stop obsessing over figuring this out!

4. Back To Top    #4

I just did cya test. Before I was unable to see dot at 30 now it is very cloudy but I can still see it. Would that put me at 20 or 25 how high should I raise it?

5. Back To Top    #5

Aim for 40 CYA. If you have had a lot of rain, the overflow would have removed some of the CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

We have had a ton! I will use pool calculator to determine what I need. Thank you.

7. Back To Top    #7

I added 28 ounces of cya. I also tested my FC it went from 10 to 7 in 8 1/2 hours. Is that normal? Should I perform the overnight test again or assume I am okay?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by passionsrlz
    I added 28 ounces of cya. I also tested my FC it went from 10 to 7 in 8 1/2 hours. Is that normal? Should I perform the overnight test again or assume I am okay?
    If CYA was low, rain splashed stuff in, and you only lost 3 in a day, I wouldn't worry. Just track it. If you start to lose 4, you can always raise it to shock level and get ahead of the green.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Than you for relieving my stress. How often should I be checking the FC?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by passionsrlz
    Than you for relieving my stress. How often should I be checking the FC?
    [center:3fp1y3t3]http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

[/center:3fp1y3t3]

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

I check my fc, cc , and pH every evening after the sun is off the pool and adjust as needed, I keep my cya at 50 and lose between 2 to 3 ppm fc throughout the day so my min fc is 4 and my target fc level is 6 so I dose my fc to 8 every evening so I never have to worry about it falling below my min fc of 4, thus NEVER had to shock my pool, BBB IS GREAT!!!,!!!
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you fast1971chevelle! I kind of needed a plan. Felt like I was floundering! That's exactly what I needed! I have gotten so used to testing all the time I feel like I am ignoring my pool. Petrified my FC is gonna drop to low. I need to trust the system in place.

14. Back To Top    #14

I had to order more supplies and am running out Of stuff to test my FC. I tested this morning and am at 6 will I drop below minimum before I test tonight and bring it back up? I'm trying to get on a schedule. Will it hurt me if I drop below 3?

15. Back To Top    #15

it is according to what your cya is?????? never mind I see your cya is 30 I would not let it drop below 2 at any time, if it were my pool I would dose my fc to 6 in the evening after the sun is off the pool and check it again tomar at the same time and see what you lost in the 24 hour period. After a few weeks of this routine you will see a pattern of what your pool is consuming in fc and it will be even more simple. if you dose to 6 even though your min is 2 and your target fc is 4 for a cya of 30 and you dose to 6 ppm fc in the evening that gives you a 2 ppm buffer until you learn your pool needs and even at 6 ppm it is well below shock and safe to swim in
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank you! This is my third year managing this pool by myself. But does year with good kit. Always had to sing it before. So getting into a routine seems rough. I actually raised my cya to 40 but all same rules apply I will use calculator.

17. Back To Top    #17

excellent....... but i'm sure you know the importance of good quality test kit like the k2006 or the tf100 from tftestkits.net, they are a must for properly maintaining your family investment........Mike

18. Back To Top    #18

I agree. The test kit has been amazing. I was always guessing before. I am not testing my FC until sunset because I'm trying to set a routine . It was 6 at 5:30 I hope I am okay.

19. Back To Top    #19

you will be fine.......like i said it works great for me.....but be aware that since you raised your cya to 40 ppm your new minimum fc should be 3 and your target will be 5 so dose your pool to 7 tonight that will give you a 2 ppm buffer .......Mike

20. Back To Top    #20

Yep that is my plan. You have been very helpful thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast