Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what to use for measuring chemicals?

1. Back To Top    #1

what to use for measuring chemicals?

curious as to what you guys use? liquid measuring cups? or do you guys go by weight or what?

is there a certain kind of measuring cup i should get or do i just go to the kitchen section at walmart and get the biggest oz measuring cup they got?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what to use for measuring chemicals?

I use a 2 cup clear plastic measuring cup. I can read the graduations from above, through the side, so I can keep the acid well below eye level.

Remember - NO GLASS around the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I use an old 25 oz shaker bottle that we lost the lid to, it's translucent plastic.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks guys. ill get me a clear plastic cup in oz
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a lexan measuring pitcher from the food supply store. Works great and the measurements are molded in so they can't wash/fade off.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I use a couple of things all of which I store in the pool house- I bought a set of cheap white plastic measuring cups, I also use a old large Brita pitcher which has good markings for liquids and its easy to mix in it and pour. I also recycled some of my husbands large plastic protein powder canisters into containers for the large bag of baking soda and borax - I used my precise kitchen scale to measure how many ounces a half cup equaled and wrote that on the container. So when the pool calculator says add x amount of ounces of something, I've got a rough idea of how much to use without pulling the scale out again.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I cut water bottles down. My CYA cup says 4ppm on it. I don't have to do any math.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat