Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to Vacuum to waste due to Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

How to Vacuum to waste due to Algae

I have started to get a small algae problem in the pool but the liquid chlorine isnt killing it quick enough. I have bought some algaecide which I will be applying later and then tomorrow would like to vacuum the pool, but read the best thing to do is vacuum to waste.
    I cant tell if the equipment I have is capable of doing this, there is a hose connected (see pic) but looking at that it seems like it is already hitting the filter before. Am I right? If so is there any other way to easily vacuum to waste or will it be a case brush walls, vacuum, clean filter repeat? The Cartridges in the hayward C3025 filter are only a couple of months old so know its not time to replace and the psi is only a couple above when I first put them in.

Apologies for the angle of the picture its hard to get a good clear pic as the fence at the side as so close to the equipment.

your guidance as ever will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 gallon In-Ground pool (plaster) with spa in Houston Tx.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to Vacuum to waste due to Algae

I don't think you have that option with that filter. You'd have to post a picture of the plumbing on the other side of the filter to be sure.

Algaecide is better at preventing algae than killing it. What you need is bleach, lots of it, and do the shock process. To do that effectively, you need your own test kit. pool-school/shocking_your_pool

[center:1myyo5i4][/center:1myyo5i4]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

but read the best thing to do is vacuum to waste
    Nope. No filter or vacuum will rid your pool of algae. That's chlorine's job.

You must shock the pool according to Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks for the information. I also did stock up on liquid chrloine shock as read it is better to use if CYA is a little high. looks like I have a fun weekend ahead. off to pool school I go again for my refresher course...
    25,000 gallon In-Ground pool (plaster) with spa in Houston Tx.