Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Review my plan

1. Back To Top    #1

Review my plan

In preparation for filling my new pool, I am trying to document the startup process

First, the numbers for my fill water. No iron or copper in the fill.

alkalinity - 350
    calcium - 20
    ph - 6.8

After filling these are my targets

FC - 24 (need to add 11 96oz bottles of 6% bleach)
    CYA - 60 (I need to add 176oz of stabilizer)
    PH - 7.5 (target here due to TA being high) (add 821oz of borax)
    CH - not thinking about this yet.
    Salt - 3200 (add 600lbs of salt)
    Borates - not thinking about this yet.

My questions are

1. Do I wait until the pool is full to start adding chemicals or should I add some as it fills?
    2. Do I dose at suggested levels immediately or dose at half, check and dose more as needed?
    3. Is there any order at which to dose, ie salt first, then bleach, then stablizer, then borax?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Review my plan

Slow down. You do not want to try to do everything at the same time.

Fill the pool and then test it.

You do not want to raise the FC that high with 0ppm of CYA in the water. Just put 2ppm of FC in the pool and start adding CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Slow down! There's no need to shock with fresh clear water.

If you set it up to fill with the hose splattering the surface rather than submerged, it will be noisy, but it will also aerate and probably raise pH some at zero expense.While you fill!

Get the pump circulating and be sure there's no leakage. Then add 2 ppm chlorine, see if pH needs raising after half an hour or so of circulating. The CYA can get tied up and suspended any time there. You'll be losing a lot of FC initially because of no CYA in the water, so keep close tabs on it. Just keep checking pH and FC and keep them adjusted and raise FC after the CYA is noticeably dissolved.

Borates are entirely optional, some of us never use them.

Get things balanced using bleach, then add salt, then fire off SWG. Check out the highlighted post here, if you have kids.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

And once you start thinking about CH remember rainwater is your friend.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, glad I posted!

I just thought I needed to shock it initially.

Why do I target FC = 2? If im using the pool calculator properly, it says 4 and CYA of 60.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby
    Wow, glad I posted!

Why do I target FC = 2? If im using the pool calculator properly, it says 4 and CYA of 60.
    Because the CYA doesn't dissolve right away. Your initial reading on CYA will be zero. Therefore, FC has to be lower. Unless you like white bathing suits with rotten elastic.

Were you planning on spending the extra for liquid stabilizer? If that's the case, CYA will be up to 60 within minutes and you can follow the pool calculator from the get-go.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Wow, glad I posted!

Because the CYA doesn't dissolve right away. Your initial reading on CYA will be zero. Therefore, FC has to be lower. Unless you like white bathing suits with rotten elastic.

Were you planning on spending the extra for liquid stabilizer? If that's the case, CYA will be up to 60 within minutes and you can follow the pool calculator from the get-go.
    Yes, ill get liquid stabilizer. Is there a name brand that is best?

I just really want to start off right so im trying hard to plan it out, and I VERY much appreciate this site and the advice!

8. Back To Top    #8

All brands are about the same just make sure it is 100% cya / satilizer....check prices for the best deal
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

9. Back To Top    #9

You could also add enough liquid stabilizer to get you to 30 ppm and then add the rest in granular form and save some money but always make sure the pump is running whenever you add chemicals to your pool.
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

10. Back To Top    #10

ok, after looking at liquid stabilizers I think I WONT be using them ha ha. If im using the pool calculator right it is telling me to go from 0 to 60 I would need 4,567 ounces!!! To get that I estimate I would have over $1000 in stabilizer! crazy

11. Back To Top    #11

ok, after looking at liquid stabilizers I think I WONT be using them ha ha. If im using the pool calculator right it is telling me to go from 0 to 60 I would need 4,567 ounces!!! To get that I estimate I would have over $1000 in stabilizer! crazy
    Better check your math or a typo in the calculator. That's about 10X as much as I would expect.

If you make mistakes like that with all the chemicals, you"ll never ever get the pool balanced.

12. Back To Top    #12

doh, the volume of my pool is 22,000 ... the pool calculator had an exta 0 So it was calculating 220,000.

No worries, I wont add anything without checking and confirming! Ive run through this many time so far. Hope to start the fill by thursday.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just up it to 30 to start. Once it's dissolved it's in there working. Often all mine takes a day or so to dissolve. It's best to sneak up on this level anyways, as reading the test at first can be tricky.

14. Back To Top    #14

Just a small tip for you if you have a water meter that you can read, take the reading before adding the water and after so you will know exactly how many gallons the pool holds.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process