Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy pool

hi everyone! i have a problem with my salt water pool. i have had the under ground pool for six years. this is my 1st major problem.my cl2 generator whet out this winter and replaced it but algie had gotten into the pool. i treated it and the pool cleared and then i had metal stains i removed these with stain and scale put metal magic. and brought my sand filter up a pound diff pressure from 19 to 20. using de. by the way i had just changed my sand. now i have a cloudy pool. i can see the bottom on the shallow end but not the deep. 20000 pool. i tested the water ph 7.2 / ak 125 / cl 1.2 . phos over 100. the pool store sold me some phosflock to remove the phos. does anyone think this will help?
    monroe,la
    size 22000
    saltwater
    hayward sand filter 300
    aquarite 40000 gen

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy pool

Welcome to tfp, gabby

Quote Originally Posted by gabby
    the pool store sold me some phosflock to remove the phos. does anyone think this will help?
    No. A properly chlorinated pool can have very high phosphates without a problem. I would save your money and return it.

Did the pool become cloudy immediately after starting up the new filter? Did you thoroughly backwash the filter first before routing the water back to the pool (filter setting)?

By the way, typically there is no need/reason to replace sand in a sand filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the reply.yes i back washed the filter. the problem started after putting the metal magic in. i guess i should have waited for a reply.i put the phosfloc in and the pool has turned milky. will this fall out? thanks
    monroe,la
    size 22000
    saltwater
    hayward sand filter 300
    aquarite 40000 gen

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I know that most metal sequestering agents will eat up all your Free Chlorine and that could be what is making your pool cloudy. I treated a pool about 3 weeks ago with Jack's Blue Stuff and still can't get it to hold any Free Chlorine. It is clear this week but the Active Chlorine was 0.0 again. The sequestering seems to have really messed things up.

5. Back To Top    #5

well the pool is a total mess now, super cloudy 14 hrs after adding the phosflock. i guess i'm going to try to filter it out and start over again.
    monroe,la
    size 22000
    saltwater
    hayward sand filter 300
    aquarite 40000 gen

6. Back To Top    #6

and by the way, does anyone have any ideas on what i may try to clear this pool. thanks
    monroe,la
    size 22000
    saltwater
    hayward sand filter 300
    aquarite 40000 gen

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to determine if your cloudiness is from the phosphate remover (if it is then the filter will eventually take care of it) or if it is from (or also from) algae. The best way to determine if it is algae is to start the shocking process and do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) the first night to see where you are at.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

i checked my ph and it had fallen to 6.8 from 7.2. i looked at the directions of the fhosfoc and the ph should be 7.2 - 7.8. i brought the ph back up to 7.4. hoping it will fall to the bottom now.
    monroe,la
    size 22000
    saltwater
    hayward sand filter 300
    aquarite 40000 gen