Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Chlorine Consumption and PH not responding

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Staten Island NY
    Posts
    116

    Chlorine Consumption and PH not responding

    I opened my pool on May 31st and continue to have some issues.

    1st my numbers
    Alkalinity - 100
    CYA - 25
    FC - 2
    CC -.5
    PH - 7.1
    Results are based on the TF test kit

    My water is crystal clear but seem to be having issues with chlorine consumption and PH.

    Last night I superchlorinated with one bag of shock that brought the FC to 5 ppm and CC to 0. Additionally, I added 16 oz of Borax to raise the PH from 7.1 to 7.2. This morning I checked and had FC of 2 ppm and PH of 7.1. I added an additional 40oz of Borax and went to work.

    Is this the beginning of an algae problem? Is the shocking affecting my PH? Vice Versa?

    My plan of attack will be to bring chlorine levels back up to 10PPM tonight and see if it holds overnight. Test PH and adjust if necessary. Any other suggestions?

    On a different note:
    1- Clorox is on sale at K-mart - 2 96oz jugs for $3.
    2- I thought I noticed that the clorox advertised calcium hypochlorite. I thought it was sodium hypochlorite. Any difference?

    Thanks,
    Craig
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879
    Bleach is sodium hypochlorite. Calcium hypochlorite is a solid, typically a powder, which adds calcium to the water in addition to chlorine.

    Some "shock" products lower the PH, others don't. Dichlor lowers PH, cal-hypo doesn't. What were you using?

    The overnight loss of chlorine is very suggestive that you have algae. Bring FC up to shock level and measure the FC loss overnight tonight. Since you are catching it early it will probably be easy to deal with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,965
    A bit of friendly unsolicited advice....I had the "frog" and it led to nothing but trouble...if you haven't done so already, consider not using it?

    I would agree with Jason, that much chlorine overnight indicates algea or something consuming it.

    Perhaps bumping up your CYA a bit would help too.

    I have too read that shocking can affect PH.

    Once I was on BBB exclusively my numbers stabilized and I no longer had issues with algea or PH/TA issues.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Staten Island NY
    Posts
    116
    I'll have to check but I think the shock was Cal-Hypo. This would make sense with my Sodium/calcium hypochlorite confusion. I probably read it on the shock not the Clorox. I'll try to confirm tonight.

    I have stopped using the frog within the first season. After finding this website last year and looking at the price of the cartridges, I never used it.

    Sorry to post the questions, but the water looked great when I opened it. I feel like I should have everything under control by now however my testing is telling me something else.

    I guess this is a tell tale story of how a good test kit is worth every penny.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

  5. Back To Top    #5
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,965
    Don't worry about asking too many questions...it's part of the process. Been there, done that....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Staten Island NY
    Posts
    116
    You were right, Clorox is sodium hypochlorite.

    Unfortunately I did not get home until late. FC was down to .5. I only added enough chlorine to bring it up to 2PPM and threw the solar cover on to see what would happen overnight. I woke up to 2 PPM of FC yet my PH went down to about 7.0. I added more Borax and went to work. Tonight I'll superchlorinate and report back in.

    Any chance high pollen could be the culprit? We had a very cold spring and the trees (which I have many near my pool) have been all out of whack. I know solar covers assist in maintaining chlorine levels (which is why I put it on) but perhaps it also kept out some of the pollen?
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •