Chlorine Consumption and PH not responding

Craig

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Staten Island NY
I opened my pool on May 31st and continue to have some issues.

1st my numbers
Alkalinity - 100
CYA - 25
FC - 2
CC -.5
PH - 7.1
Results are based on the TF test kit

My water is crystal clear but seem to be having issues with chlorine consumption and PH.

Last night I superchlorinated with one bag of shock that brought the FC to 5 ppm and CC to 0. Additionally, I added 16 oz of Borax to raise the PH from 7.1 to 7.2. This morning I checked and had FC of 2 ppm and PH of 7.1. I added an additional 40oz of Borax and went to work.

Is this the beginning of an algae problem? Is the shocking affecting my PH? Vice Versa?

My plan of attack will be to bring chlorine levels back up to 10PPM tonight and see if it holds overnight. Test PH and adjust if necessary. Any other suggestions?

On a different note:
1- Clorox is on sale at K-mart - 2 96oz jugs for $3.
2- I thought I noticed that the clorox advertised calcium hypochlorite. I thought it was sodium hypochlorite. Any difference?

Thanks,
Craig

Bleach is sodium hypochlorite. Calcium hypochlorite is a solid, typically a powder, which adds calcium to the water in addition to chlorine.

Some "shock" products lower the PH, others don't. Dichlor lowers PH, cal-hypo doesn't. What were you using?

The overnight loss of chlorine is very suggestive that you have algae. Bring FC up to shock level and measure the FC loss overnight tonight. Since you are catching it early it will probably be easy to deal with.

A bit of friendly unsolicited advice....I had the "frog" and it led to nothing but trouble...if you haven't done so already, consider not using it?

I would agree with Jason, that much chlorine overnight indicates algea or something consuming it.

Perhaps bumping up your CYA a bit would help too.

I have too read that shocking can affect PH.

Once I was on BBB exclusively my numbers stabilized and I no longer had issues with algea or PH/TA issues.

I'll have to check but I think the shock was Cal-Hypo. This would make sense with my Sodium/calcium hypochlorite confusion. I probably read it on the shock not the Clorox. I'll try to confirm tonight.

I have stopped using the frog within the first season. After finding this website last year and looking at the price of the cartridges, I never used it.

Sorry to post the questions, but the water looked great when I opened it. I feel like I should have everything under control by now however my testing is telling me something else.

I guess this is a tell tale story of how a good test kit is worth every penny.

You were right, Clorox is sodium hypochlorite.

Unfortunately I did not get home until late. FC was down to .5. I only added enough chlorine to bring it up to 2PPM and threw the solar cover on to see what would happen overnight. I woke up to 2 PPM of FC yet my PH went down to about 7.0. I added more Borax and went to work. Tonight I'll superchlorinate and report back in.

Any chance high pollen could be the culprit? We had a very cold spring and the trees (which I have many near my pool) have been all out of whack. I know solar covers assist in maintaining chlorine levels (which is why I put it on) but perhaps it also kept out some of the pollen?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.