morn test results....struggling with cya

May 24, 2013
Arizona
Good morning. 22x52uf 13k gallons bbb tf100

Here r test results
Cl/br 1/2
Ph 8.2
Ta 100
Cya ...ok this is where my questions are....this time when did test i saw a large black ring that circled around the middle dot but they didn't met, so when u say disappear u mean all turns black don't you vs. The dot suddenly being un-viewable. I was never quite clear on that.

I am hopefully finishing vac today then rerun numbers after adding back the five inches i can run filter while filling as long as level is above intake, but does the return ( eyeball) have to be covered as well?
Thank u

You should not be able to see the black dot at all. The water in the tube should be milky looking when you look down into it. You can look at the images from Taylor laboratories here to see what the test should look like. You should read the test outside with the sun at your back for the most accurate reading.

The return does not need to be covered by water, but the splashing is going to raise your pH more. You need to use the pool calculator and add some muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.5

Ok so if everytime ive done the cya test its crystal clear...dont mean to be rude is there any chance the product in the bottle im adding is wrong..ive done the test at least eight times its never been anything but clear and yes do it with sun to my back saw that on a thread. So how much ma are we talking about have 13k gallons when full. Two weeks maybe three weeks ago when they took my pump to be fixed he added two cups i added three cups on 10th h and two cups on 11th. When pool guy was here he said cya was 100. So suggestions? Its never even close to milky. I can walk u through step By step How im doing the test maybe my procedures r wrong...so if im getting no milky means lacking ma so what would u say if its been those readings for two weeks would be the condition of my pool water?

barbaradomanski said:
Ok so if everytime ive done the cya test its crystal clear...dont mean to be rude is there any chance the product in the bottle im adding is wrong..ive done the test at least eight times its never been anything but clear and yes do it with sun to my back saw that on a thread. So how much ma are we talking about have 13k gallons when full. Two weeks maybe three weeks ago when they took my pump to be fixed he added two cups i added three cups on 10th h and two cups on 11th. When pool guy was here he said cya was 100. So suggestions? Its never even close to milky. I can walk u through step By step How im doing the test maybe my procedures r wrong...so if im getting no milky means lacking ma so what would u say if its been those readings for two weeks would be the condition of my pool water?

What exactly were you adding? Brand, percentage, type (liquid, granual) etc.?
Your title says CYA but you referedg to "MA" in your post...
Did you add this while your pump was gone being fixed or after you got it back?
How did you add it?
If you added 3 cups on the 10th and 2 cups on the 11th, some say it takes a week to show up on the test.
How did pool guy test? with stips?

here is a video of the test.>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs

If your cya test stays clear it's closer to zero than 100. You should be using 50% R-0013 and 50% pool water.

Instructions say fill the red capped bottle to bottom of label add r0013 till top of the label that is not anywhere near fifty fity more like 85/15 But thats what instructions say that came with kit. Label is way to High on bottle if you truly mean 50% pool water 50% r0013 no wonder my results r always crystal clear. Ok so i just vac'd so added about five inches of water so any suggestions on an amt of ma to put in By cups size ?

Did you add stabilizer/conditioner (CYA) to the pool? How much, when did you add it and how did you add it?

Wow I'm really confused. Are you trying to raise CYA or lower PH? The title refers to CYA but your post asks about how much MA to add?

Two weeks maybe three weeks ago when they took my pump to be fixed he added two cups i added three cups on 10th h and two cups on 11th.
What was it that you were adding then because you just said you never added CYA.

I'm thinking with the new info you learned about the CYA test being 50/50, you should retest CYA and post a full set of results. Since you said you have not added any CYA/stabilizer, and you refer to adding 7 cups of something....did you add 7 cups of MA (Muratic Acid) or what did you add?

Lets make sure we are on same page...
CYA - Cyanuric Acid - Cyanuric acid, often called stabilizer or conditioner

muriatic acid - Used to lower PH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes added the 31.45% haas mucraic acid brand came from leslies...my refering the cya i mean the test for it i never got a milky water but i get y that was now. Wasnt using 50/50. Im sorry if im not communicating well on this first pool for starters 2nd my disability can hinder the getting my thoughts out clearly. My apologies. It im making things more complicated.

I thought with losing so much fc that adding ma would help so im wrong here the cya test doesnt tell me how much ma to add. Im confused now ive read pool school several times but think need to read it again. Think best thing is to redo results and have my husband post the results here so info doesn't come across wrong. I will post new results tonight. Go from there

This is a picture of the CYA test bottle (and R-0013). Filling bottle to bottom of label is half way.

If your pool guy said your CYA was 100, you need to get this test right. No need to add CYA if you're above 40. You will need to add more MA if your pH is still over 8.0

It was just that you kept refering to MA which has to do with lowering PH (Which was high) but nothing to do with the CYA that I thought were were trying to fix.

You would lose alot of FC If you had low CYA levels, and also if you were fighting organics. You need to do the proper CYA test of 50/50...mine is 7ML pool water, 7ML of the reagent. shake it then poor it in the view tube with the black dot. Also new test results would help since 7 cups of Muratic Acid (MA) will lower you PH by 1 full percent.

How is the water looking?

barbaradomanski said:
This is her husband dave i had posted big response this morning but now when i looked to see if response dont see what i wrote. Did a large response get through or did i loose all i wrote
If you look in your profile, you will see that this is the first/only post made so far today.

Maybe when you added the info, you hit preview instead of submit. BTDT.

Ok , i had never done this before, but i read the info and she gave me some information. She says she got things all mixed together yesterday. Here r the results of the test this morning
Chlorine the yellow side stayed clear...the red said 8.2 from that basic blue box. The total alkalinity test was 11 drops so 110. The cya test i looked at the taylor test link for what it should look like, along with link fow what this test kit with the label is supposed to look like.
The water for this test stayed completely clear not close to a white tinge at all. The label issue, i read what you wrote and you were correct, its fine, to be honest it was her thinking it was so different, along with mixing everything up( her depth perception was all wrong )that led us to realizing she was in trouble, admitted her last night i know shes very embarrassed about yesterday, please don't hold it against her. She was very confused and shes going to come home in few days, so i know the worst thing would be if she came home to green water. I have the following things here haas brand 31.45% mucracic acid from leslies, borax, baking soda and 10% liquid bleach.
I found the calculator, just unclear of what number to put in for the cya test, if the water in tube stayed crystal clear all the way to the top what number should i put there?
I have a new pool company coming today to give estimate on installing the sand system which has an auto vac so she will not spend three days baking in 115 degrees trying to use the intex vac, its my fault i am not good with construction projects and was afraid To cut the pool. So this guy says he has done it before so next wk will have all the proper equipment. My main concern is some help with getting these chemicals correct. Do you need me to give you any other information for your assistance?
I know this is not your concern but i am going to ask anyway, she is so very embarrassed at how conversation here went. When we get this done and i understand what i need to do, can this conversation be deleted? Iknow the second thing she will do after looking at water will be to reread this and it will only upset her, if it is possible to delete i would really appreciate it. Once they adjust her medications and she rests she'll be her normal rational self, she also suffered from heat stroke and horrible burns on her back, she can loose touch when her system is unbalanced she just cant realize whats happening, she has MS and her brain can get fixated.
She needs this pool so badly its the only hope she has of slowing down how soon she will be in a wheel chair for rest of her life. Please dont hold anything over past few days against her she didn't know what she was doing or saying. She will be very embarrassed when she comes back here, she feels like a fool and she counts on the help she gets here. If when done talking about the chemicals i need to add to my pool ,please delete this, she will forget eventually but if she reads it. It will upset her. Thanks

When you did the CYA test did you use 50% pool water and 50% of R-0013 regent? Are these the things you were using to test?(see below) Bottle on right is the bottle you mixed the 50% pool water with 50% of the larger bottle (R-0013) then shake it up for 30 seconds....then you add that mixture to the view tube on the left and looking from above you add the water untill black dot disappears from looking above.

tcat said:

Unfortunately CYA is the entire backbone of your sanitizing process so we need to make sure its done right and find out if its 100 or 0.

As far as this post you could PM a moderator or you could go to her posts and edit it and delete everything and just put N/T. I'm not in her shoes but there is really nothing to be embarrassed about. Just appears to have gotten her acids mixed up and we just needed more details to know what exactly was added to the pool to be able to help.

with a 13,000 gallon pool, you will need 29 oz of muratic acid to go from 8.2 to 7.4. I would add that with the filter on (pour it in front of return stream.) Recheck your PH levels after 1 hour to see if they have lowered.

If your OTO test (Yellow color matching) was clear you need to get some chlorine in there...since we are not sure of your CYA test, don't want to go too high. A half gallon will raise you by 4.

Your wife mentioned your pump being fixed...has it been fixed and you do have a working pump running right now?

Really need you to confirm you did the CYA test correctly as mentioned above....if it was done correctly and was clear, you will need to go and buy some stabilizer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.